Friday, April 1, 2011

HOLY AND LOWLY: WORKING FOR THE WEEKEND

I kind of surprised a few of you with my early posting of last night's questions. I kind of surprised myself, too. I also totally bitched up some of the scoring. I think I corrected it, but if you think your score is off, let me know. As you  may have surmised, I don't always proof read very closely (read this as: ever) and though I have a little score card on points, speed points and EC points, sometimes I screw it up.  Sorry, especially to Kim. I think I messed hers up the most...can't add either, so you all may be well served to keep track of your own points. I know Jamarcus is-- he knows that somehow his mother is going to pimp him...he is probably right.

Also, it appears that I missed out on many great comments last night. I unplugged a little early, as I was trying to convince Dave McKeon to buy a boat for Wendy's summer house--true story. Think about it, who's going to deny lake house access to the people who bought them a boat?? It's pretty genius, but I'm not sure if I'm making any real traction with Mr. McKeon...he's kind of a detail guy, (where are we going to store it in the winter? Is it a gift to them, or is it our boat and they get to use it as much as they want? If it's a gift, who pays the storage fees? We will need a trailer and a boat lift...Do they even want a boat??)...Me--I'm more of the idea girl...."Wouldn't it be great if we adopted a baby from China?", "Don't you think we should take the kids to the Grand Canyon? It looked like so much fun on the Brady Bunch" "I think we need a Steinway piano..." "Golf in Scotland will be amazing.." "If we take all of the furniture out of the family room, we can fit 55 kids here for Homecoming Dinner" " Do you think Jack could paint a huge ND on the garage wall by tomorrow?" "I want to go to Grad School" "Let's see if we can get Jimmy Johns to deliver to the Joyce parking lot"...the ideas just keep coming...it's the execution that slows me down.

Ok, here are last night's answers and scores: Sara had the answer right when she said "What Chris said" , because once again, despite being in the throws of roompicks, Jamarcus nailed both answers. When I asked him how he found that Monroe one so fast, he said: "You people don't know where to look for the best answers" Guess not, although Kim has certainly come through with some very, very complete answers. So, here is how I am awarding the points for last night including EC, and a total for the day--trying not to bitch this up:

Jamarcus/Francis/Chris: TWO points for correctness, SIX points for speed--no EC, sorry, love you  EIGHT total points--nice, keep it up.
Judy: TWO points for correctness, FOUR points for speed(second to buzz in--you're getting faster)--sorry, no EC, love you too, but you are kind of dominating--need to slow you and the youngster down a tad...SIX points tonight
Sara: TWO points for correctness, TWO points for speed (third), TWO EC points for cracking me up with the  swearing and the smart phone-total: SIX big points--keep up the cursing
Tricia: TWO big points for correctness, THREE EC points for beating John like a drum, and for drawing attention to those who come to Mass hung over. Hair of the dog and all that. Also, liked the boyfriend reference...thinking of getting one. I bet he'd buy that boat...today's total: FIVE big points
Kim: TWO huge points for correctness, THREE huge EC points for the essays--exceptional once again. And I really like the cut and paste tip and the fact that you were willing to share that with your fellow competitors. You are walking away with FIVE big points tonight
Mrs.Sarge: TWO correctness points, TWO niceness EC points--your total: FOUR for tonight--very close race here, people. And remember, niceness, completeness and swearing seem to count for something.
Sue, Amy, Stacy--TWO correctness points for all three of you, and while I really liked the Jimmy Johns pointers from Stacy, I can't be rewarding you guys every night, or the EC means nothing...I just don't want to be one of those blogs where "everybody gets a trophy" That's not what we are all about here. You have to EARN those EC points. Amy, don't worry--I know you are sick and I will help you out on the back end. Also, an enormous box of Posey's hand me downs are coming your way--WAY better than extra credit...
John--TWO correctness points and FIVE big EC points for attempting to get your wife that Longchamp bag, earning it a tenner at a time, you hang in there.... and thanks for making me choke laughing. You walk away tonight with SEVEN huge points and about thirty bucks from your "night job".
Louis--TWO correctness points, and also FIVE big EC points for offering to babysit everyone's kids. You will soon live to regret that magnanimous offer, but it certainly read well. Also, very complete answer. I'm impressed. Finally, I like your attempt to convince me that you, Chris and all the other gentlemen of St. Eds who will be residing in the "pent house" next year spend their days studying, praying, saying the Rosary and doing the Live Stations of the Cross. I'm not buying it, but I admire the effort. Lay off the Capri Suns this weekend and keep Jamarcus out of trouble. Big point total today: SEVEN huge, huge points. well done.

As you can see, this is quite the race--On Sunday, I will give you a weekly total and we can see who is out in front. Remember, no questions tomorrow night, because even God rested on Sunday. Here are tonight's questions:
  1. What are the two sources of God's revelation? (straight from ACRE, don't blame me for the vagueness here)
  2. Name all of the kids that the main characters on "Thirtysomething" had and who belonged to whom.
OK, good luck. You guys should smoke this one. Have a great weekend and I will leave you with today's Top Ten:
  1. Ahi Tuna--it's Lent, no meat--no real sacrifice either, eating great seafood--love being Catholic. You can drink (obviously even right before mass), smoke, dance, swear, play cards, make babies, gamble (BINGO is a Catholic ritual) It's all good.
  2. Shaggy's song: "Wasn't Me"--still like it, Judy.  
  3. Chris craft wooden boats--never going to get one, but I LOVE them.
  4. Extra sugar free gum, winter fresh--not too spicy, keeps its flavor
  5. Restoration Hardware's towels--get them from the outlet. they are great.
  6. Fr. Ralph--rector of St. Eds--totally punked Chris today--Happy April Fool's Day
  7. Homemade guacamole--not bragging, but mine is the best
  8. Meg Wolitzers new book: The Uncoupling--just started it on the kindle. It got raves.
  9. Cage Free Organic Eggs--living on them while I am on the Four Hour Body Diet.
  10. Dave McKeon--has lost 13 pounds on this diet. (me, not so much--too many eggs and beef jerky sticks)
Enjoy the weekend, Post up your answers BEFORE you head out for Friday night debauchery..Speed still rules...

41 comments:

  1. Thirtysomething:

    Janie & Leo: Belong to Hope and Michael Steadman
    Ethan & Britanny: Belong to Elliot and Nancy Weston
    Gary & Suzanna: Belong to Emma.

    I am publicly thanking my dear wife for the help on this one. I always wanted Michael to shoot Hope in the head with a shot gun. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stealing John's Thirtysomething answer:

    Janie & Leo: Belong to Hope and Michael Steadman
    Ethan & Britanny: Belong to Elliot and Nancy Weston
    Gary & Suzanna: Belong to Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma belongs to Gary & Susannah. Wrong syntax the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeffrey Milgrom who was not a main character had a daughter named Christie.

    Dammit I'm not GAY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feeling like a loser again. Everyone must be out a stations. Lent and all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope Jamarcus is getting tired of all these alerts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jamarcus have some Capri Suns tonight! It's Friday Dude!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. Sacred Scripture and Tradition
    2. Michael and Hope Steadman had daughter Melissa; Elliott and Nancy Weston had Brittany and Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feeling like John has better info... and I kind of remember Janie and Leo???

    Janie & Leo: Belong to Hope and Michael Steadman
    Ethan & Britanny: Belong to Elliot and Nancy Weston
    Gary & Suzanna: Belong to Emma

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1) Scripture and tradition
    2) Janie & Leo: Belong to Hope and Michael Steadman
    Ethan & Britanny: Belong to Elliot and Nancy Weston
    Gary & Suzanna: Belong to Emma

    ReplyDelete
  11. And thanks for the box! It's like a fashion show for Olivia every time. Way better than winning. Thanks for the hook up. Feeling a little more human today, starting Humira injections tonight.

    Way to go on the boat idea. Good luck with that. Sounds genius to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. Scripture & tradition.

    2. What John said as his final Thirtysomething answer with Christie thrown into the mix because I gave John that answer. Thirtysomething was my show back in the day. Always wishing for a reunion. Does anyone know if that show is still in reruns & what station? When Kimberly (my 20 year old - hard to believe seeing as I'm still 29) was a baby I used to rock her to sleep during that show. And when Gary died - OMG! What a total shocker! I think I woke John up with my hysterics that it wasn't Nancy who died! WOW! Great show! Still not a fan of Jimmy Johns.

    ReplyDelete
  13. BTW a boat that is not a Chris*Craft, is not a boat at all. That is like calling a Honda a motorcycle or for that matter Coors Light a beer. Don't settle for anything less Laurie. Chris*Craft wooden boats are fabulous!! Also did you know that Christopher Columbus Smith built his first wooden boat in 1874 at the age of 13. Sounds like a great summer project for your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stacy - Melissa was the weird red head - Michael's cousin, duh. Did you know Michael was Jewish & Hope (who went to Princeton) was Presbyterian? They had real conflict when it came to Janie's religious background. Elliot cheated on Nancy whose kid Ethan was a real brat and Nancy had cancer but survived. Gary shockingly (it was total devastation for me) died in a car accident but was NOT riding his bike as Michael had presumed. Ellen finally got married in the last season & Gary's ghost appeared at the wedding to tell Michael everything was going to be ok in the end. Melissa - WEIRDO, hello. Susannah - what a total bitch, hated her character. Questions? Feel free to ask.

    Laurie - my cousin is HUGE into Chris Craft - maybe I can help you out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Special Revelation God has revealed Himself in nature, human experience, and history (which is general revelation) but sin's entrance into the world has changed the revelation as well as the interpretation of it. In contrast to God's general revelation which is available to all people, God's special revelation is available to specific people at specific times in specific places, it is available now only by consultation of sacred Scripture.

    I feel I am really learning things here that in 16 years of Catholic education must have eluded me--that doesn't even count the 64 combined years of Catholic education our girls had! Guess I should have
    listened better or read more. Anyway, thanks to all and have a great weekend!

    Thirtysomething(loved that show):
    Janie & Leo: Belong to Hope and Michael Steadman
    Ethan & Britanny: Belong to Elliot and Nancy Weston
    Gary & Suzanna: Belong to Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay....I know I'm on late tonight....went out of town with my children for dinner...still out of town and on my son's computer...Sooooo I have to steel and cheat tonight.

    1)Sacred Scripture and Tradition
    2)Janie &Leo: Belong to Hope and Michael
    Steadman

    Thanks everyone for the answers!!



    Ethan& Brittany: Belong to Elliot &Nancy Weston

    Gary&Suzanna: Belong to Emma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laurie...I will bring you some fresh farm eggs to bootcamp on Monday! I need some EC tonight since I logged on late. Really...the eggs I am going to bring you are right off a farm!!

    Sorry...my answers I've posted above are a bit screwed up...but they should be right since I cheated from the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Making it Easier to copy and have everything correct for the people out there:

    Janie & Leo: Belong to Hope and Michael Steadman

    Ethan & Britanny: Belong to Elliot and Nancy Weston

    Emma: Belongs to Gary & Sussanah

    Jeffrey Milgrom who was not really a main character but had some story lines had a daughter named Christie.

    Annie, Chris, Jack, Nate, Pete and Posey: Belong to Laurie and Dave McKeon, after all you are still thirtysometing aren't you Laurie?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not at stations of the cross.... but baseball practice with the younglings... maybe some EC if we hit Stations?

    1) Scripture and Tradition are the 2 sources of God's revelation.

    ReplyDelete
  21. 2) Janie and Leo - belong to Hope and Michael Steadman
    Ethan and Brittany - belong to Elliot and Nancy Weston
    Emma belongs to Gary and Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thirtysomething was my favorite show in college. We used to have Thirtysomething viewing parties. Have to admit I had a big crush on Ken Olin and strangely... had a thing for Peter Horton in a weird college professor kind of way... never was usually into long hair, but for whatever reason, he kind of did it for me back then as well. Never missed an episode and have to agree with Tricia - cried like a baby when Gary died.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. If this gets me extra credit than:
    The writer of the book of the revelation was probably not John the baptist, John the gospel writer, or John the apostle, but a man called John of Patmos who was probably a bishop in the early Christian church who got sent to the island of patmos for preaching about christianity (a prisoner). The writer could not have been John the baptist because he died most likely before this written (either around 60 or 90AD because those were the two times in the Christian church when the Christians were getting persecuted the most and the book talks about how the persecuted will be saved by the apocalypse, which is a an ending of a world of persecution as we know it, which will cause a great disruption, or battle in which good will conquer evil and Jesus in his second coming will judge the living and the dead, so it makes sense for these two times to be correct), it can't be John the gospel writer, or evangelist, because John of Patmos's Latin, which was the written language at the time, was atrocious, while John the evangelist's was nearly perfect, and it couldnt have been John the apostle for the same reason as why it couldn't be John the baptist, even though John the apostle was then only apostle who did not get executed, so he did live a long life.

    Also, the dragon referred to is symbolic of the devil and his army of two beasts are symbolic of the roman emperor and the roman empire. The beast with 666 on his forehead, who some think is the Antichrist but is not because the Antichrist is just a term referring to anyone who acts against or hates Jesus christ, is symbolic of the roman emperor Nero who was one of the worst persecutors of the Christians and this also leads us to believe that the book was written around 60AD which was when Nero ruled, or 90AD which was the other main time the Christians were persecuted so they were reflecting on what Nero did.

    By the way this is all from my brain: no Internet use, so maybe that gets me extra credit to.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Scripture and tradition is the answer to the first one and what Chris said is the answer to the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pete=Bingage. Everything Pete said I learned from P-Gress too

    ReplyDelete
  27. It is so nice to know that today's Catholic school is obviously teaching something to someone. Way to go Irish Pete. Thanks, Pat Gresser and Larry Coe... If you guys can get Irish Pete to know this stuff without cheating, all the other kids muxt be on the road to sainthood.

    Absolutely loved Thirtysomething. Remember when Hope had that miscarriage and Michael went to work anyway? Dave McKeon hated that show so much that he had to leave the room when it came on. He called it that show where everyone sits around whining: "But what about MY needs??" And yes, Melissa was a big old freak.

    Enjoy tonight, we rev it up again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  28. 1)
    Scripture and Tradition
    2)
    Janie & Leo: Belong to Hope and Michael Steadman
    Ethan & Britanny: Belong to Elliot and Nancy Weston
    Gary & Suzanna: Belong to Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I also really appreciate the usage of the word, "HUGE", Mrs. McKeon. That's very St.Ed's of you, I'm sure Jamarcus has mentioned some of our common lexicon... I mean, he wasn't going to not.

    About the whole babysitting thing, I'm standing by it... especially if that means you all are coming for some games this Fall and I can a) be lucky enough to partake in another McKeon Family Tailgate and b) finally meet jpulera and wreak havoc with my mad push-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Special Note to Tricia: You hook me up with a Chris Craft that doesn't put me in the poor house and I will buy you the Longchamp bag of your dreams, AND the Hermes H bracelet. I have been coveting a Chris Craft since I was 10 years old and the Davidsons had one...Karen Davidson was the coolest girl on Torch Lake...ask Wendy.

    Special Note to John: Have you met my kids? They couldn't build a bird house. let alone a boat--We were the family that had to BUY the little wooden car for the Cub Scouts pine wood derby race....no skills at all...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Laurie - I'm all over the Chris Craft thing for you. Having my source check it out. If I can help you I'd love to - no need for gifts. Just give me a ride on your boat :) It's probably a long shot but hey - if you don't ask you'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey all,
    Laurie I would like to note for the record that many bloggers are now using the tactics I instituted(lengthy answers and multiple postings) any chance that is worthy of some EC. I am ripping off answers today since I spent the night at the hospital without a computer( I am definitely not looking for EC bc of that note). I was going to use Sues answer(which I loved by the way)
    but then I read Petes,I think I might just go w/ his too only bc its random and I loved that!

    By the way I also watched thirtysomething during college(the only TV I watched). Peter Horton was one hot piece of maleness. Wonder how he would look in a kilt. Thanks for that little trip down memory lane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Correction...earlier in a posting...meant "steal"...not steel!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Louis...hope you're practicing your push-ups with one hand behind your back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Jpulera, practice isn't necessary when you're this good...

    ReplyDelete
  36. In the words of today's disgruntled and grammatically deteriorating youth: "Haterz gon'na hate"...

    ReplyDelete
  37. Give me a little time tonight, as I am still scoring last weeks high point totals...need an excel spread sheet and a cocktail to make this all work...

    ReplyDelete