Tuesday, April 5, 2011

HOLY AND LOWLY: GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT

Ok, I'm not sure what Pentecostal Bible Judy is using as her source for this contest, but those seven gifts she came up with are just a little out there (speaking in tongues??). No offense, but it appears that snake-handling may be the only thing not on her list. However, a little research on my part, did indeed find these gifts of the spirit on some Holy website, so I guess they count....Further, I am laughing my snake-handling ass off at the rest of you lemmings (Stacy, Jamarcus, Louis--seriously, Chris??? Didn't those look a little off to you?? You couldn't have stolen from Mrs.Sarge who's answer just reeked of Catholicism? Man, it's only been a little over a year since you were confirmed...) for totally drinking her kool aid and lifting her Bible thumping answer. Nice work, Judy, exerting your power over the masses.

But alas, as I did not specify that the gifts of the Holy Spirit were to be Catholic, I must give full credit to those other spiritual gifts that Judy listed, because I am sure in somebody's religion, they are the cornerstone to heaven.  However, because I do not want to lead our very own RCIA candidate astray, I will also give correctness AND speed points for those who buzzed in with the Catholic version of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. So, once again, everyone is a winner and you all get a big, fat Holy gift from me. Note to Amy Parker: Go with Mrs.Sarge and Kim's list. Then hire Kim to be your spiritual advisor, seriously, you getting a major league Catholic education from Kim's super comprehensive "cut and pasted" Catholic answers. Great, more high level math for me...

Sad to say, there really was no controversy at all over the whole "Teen Mom" question. And frankly, if you've ever watched this affront to humanity, Tyler and Caitlynn, despite their multiple piercings, cock-eyed hats, random hookups and poor grammar are the two biggest aces to ever appear on the show, because they are the only two so far who have enough sense to realize that they have NO BUSINESS whatsoever raising, having, touching, or even looking at a baby.

IRISH ALERT!! OMFG!!! I am dying. The Notre Dame women are shooting like they are Butler. Really, does every team I root for have to totally suck under pressure??!!

OK, on to the high level scoring from last night. This is going to get complicated, so just take my word for it. ...Judy: TWO for being correct, THREE for being first with the Pentecostal gifts of the spirit, ONE for being third with the baby mama question. Total: SIX
Stacy: TWO for being correct, TWO for being second with the holy, TWO for being second with the lowly--Total: SIX
Louis: TWO for being correct, THREE for being first with the Teen Mom question, ONE for being third with the holy question. total: SIX
Mrs.Sarge: TWO for being correct, THREE for being first with the Catholic gifts of the spirit, total: FIVE
Suechi: TWO for being correct, TWO for being second with the Catholic holy spirit gifts-total: FOUR
Kim: TWO for being correct. ONE more for being third with the Catholic holy spirit gifts.
Chris, John, Tricia, Pete, Amy: all TWO points. Sorry that you  got aced out by the tech savvy, lucky, Bible thumpers, but I guess the Lord works in mysterious ways.  I also guess that we scared off poor Amy with all of that Catholic talk... or maybe she's at confession right now...or maybe not....oooh, she just weighed and mentioned she is meeting with the Monsignor tomorrow.  Please, do not mention this blog, or you may be excommunicated before you even get into the Catholic club....And if that blessing thing really works, can you ask someone to rebless Pete a  few hundred times???

Now, I will award those 20 all important EC points. John--TWO EC points for feeling my pain with Butler, looking ahead to the masters, and using well placed profanity. FOUR for you tonight.
Stacy, as much as I hate awarding EC to someone who got speed points, I am giving you a big THREE points for that whole "Louis Bullock" comment. Very well done.  an NINE point night--jack pot
Louis: This is totally killing me, but FIVE big points to you for the "Brown Mackie College" comment. I was just dying.  The odds are good that you will be joined by young Jamarcus, so maybe you can be commuters together. ELEVEN points tonight...well worth flunking stats, no?
Finally, Mrs.Sarge---TEN very big points to you, for sticking by your Catholic gifts of the spirit, and most importantly, for coaching up and encouraging our own young Louis. Who knew this blog was also going to provide mentoring services??Your total? FIFTEEN whopping points--an all time high for the contest. Extra credit--the great equalizer.

Now, as another aside, to try to take my mind off the Lady Irish and their shaky start in tonight's game: A fond Science Fair memory from my sister Wendy:

Wendy says:

"Sorry about the Bulldogs and the Science Fair.  Brings back bad memories.  I had such a fight with Teddy once, the night before it was all due, that he removed me from that dedication section  that our school  required for the written paper that accompanied the experiment.  You were supposed to acknowledge anyone who gave you support for the project--- took you shopping for supplies and that  kind of thing.  I had been profusely appreciated in the rough draft and then was replaced with gratitude to his father in the final copy.  And I can remember a total melt-down by me with Maggie once because she had left too much crap to do at the last minute and was working on it at 2AM.  A real valuable experiment would be to measure the extent parental blood pressure rises as the deadline for fair approaches.  And remember how our school stopped putting the ribbons on the projects prior to the students and parents arriving for the Fair because too many students would cry when they got only a third place.   Good  times. "


It totally concur. The good news at our house is, Posey has no idea just how awful her project is and we are so past caring about getting any sort of ribbon--for anything at all. I just throw all that stuff out anyway. Moreover, Posey actually seems to be having fun with the whole project (another first for us). As Pete aptly noted: "Her project makes absolutely no sense...I can't believe you let her choose her own experiment. You are so slipping"...well, duh!!

Tonight's questions:
  1. When did the formation of the New Testament occur?
  2. What is the score of the ND/Texas A&M game, at the half?  Just testing who's a real fan here.
No top ten for tonight...I need to cheer on the Irish and Louis' new girl friend. Also, I am having a heart attack watching this game, so please excuse all the typos, no time for spell check, but Check out number 23 on the Aggies--She is Shaq's little/big sister.

good luck, god speed, Go, Irish.

42 comments:

  1. The New Testament is an anthology, a collection of works written at different times by various authors. In almost all Christian traditions today, the New Testament consists of 27 books. The original texts were written beginning around AD 50 in Koine Greek, the lingua franca of the eastern part of the Roman Empire where they were composed. All of the works which would eventually be incorporated into the New Testament would seem to have been written no later than the mid-2nd century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be specific The formation of the New Testament canon (A.D. 100-220)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The New Testament is an anthology, a collection of works written at different times by various authors. In almost all Christian traditions today, the New Testament consists of 27 books. The original texts were written beginning around AD 50 in Koine Greek, the lingua franca of the eastern part of the Roman Empire where they were composed. All of the works which would eventually be incorporated into the New Testament would seem to have been written no later than the mid-2nd century.

    ND 35
    T A&M 33

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be specific The formation of the New Testament canon (A.D. 100-220)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looked on another site: Formation of the New Testament..A.D. 100-220

    ReplyDelete
  6. John just pick an answer and stick with it, jeez. Notice how I answered my questions together? That makes tallying a bit easier for the creative blogger running this contest who I am totally sure will be driving her own Chris Craft on Torch Lake this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Formation of the new testament was said to occur in AD50.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dates for these books begin at around 60 AD and end with John being written near 100 AD. Though these dates are not certain, Mark is placed first because of its simplicity; the Gospels of Matthew and Luke seem to use passages from Mark and that is why Mark is listed as being penned first.
    By approximately 175 A.D, there was general agreement concerning the apostolicity of most of the known books in what is today called the New Testament.

    Notre Dame was ahead 35-33 against Texas A&M at half--hopefully the Aggies top player keeps fouling so they bench her a lot of the second half too--GO IRISH!! Notre Dame up 40 -35 2 minutes into the second half--keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay... seems to be how you interpret the ?, so I am going to cover all of the bases. The New Testament was "written" in 50 AD, but appears to not have been completely formed as we know it today until 100-220 AD.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Louis....Your girl Skylar....I think she's out of your league!

    ReplyDelete
  11. New Testament was "written" in 50 AD, but appears to not have been completely formed as we know it today until 100-220 AD

    ND 35
    T A&M 33

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to all of you watching the ND game. Needed to rely on your answers since unfortunately not able to watch it here at the office. Go Lady Irish!

    If they win, Louis, does this improve your odds for a date with your favorite player?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laurie, Thanks for the EC. I will need it - 2 days until the big move. We open in the new space on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Any date between 50 AD and 300 AD should be considered correct on this one.

    Jesus taught his disciples well. They knew that they didn't know everything. They had a guide that was with them called their faith. Because they didn't belong to the union and were merely fishermen and tax collectors, they went and did what Jesus asked of them, they spread the word. My Modern Theology uses this concept as it base. Know in your heart what is right, live it to the best of your ability and always remember you are human and that God does have your back. It is OK to fall down, to be sarcastic, to think and act emotionally, to swear, to doubt. These feelings and actions are what make us human. But, when your life gives you the opportunity to rise above it's inevitable human weaknesses, continue to do the work that Jesus asked of his first graduating class. After all, Jesus was no angel in his life as a human. When he disobeyed his parents he was just like our kids. There is much truth in the saying that God has a sense of humor. We were made in his image.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laurie..sooooo many interpretations of when the New Testament was formed...good luck figuring this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Louis, btw, thanks for the "jic" explanation, not only am I brushing up on my Catholicism and my holiness, but I am learning more lingo in this blogging, texting, and internet world. Those explanations are definitely needed by me. I just learned that btw was "by the way" and not "between" as was the usual standard abbreviation. Was a good laugh on me in our office!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laurie, I would love to be your roomie on the pysch ward - at least I know our room would be the best decorated! And, if Kim came to visit as well, I might make it a permanent residence!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, challengers, according to the ACRE test, I think the answer I am looking for is "Apostolic Age"--Anything even close to that is fine by me. Like I've been some sort of stickler on any of these answers so far...sorry, didn't realize you all would get so date specific on me. Irish are tied and I'm breathing into a paper bag right now...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Apostolic Age

    And sorry about your Irish... was pulling for them and Louis' gorgeous girlfriend-to-be.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The goddamn Kiss of Death strikes again. I knew I should have turned the game off at the half...I am the biggest jinx ever. Arrgghhh!!
    Still love the Irish, I'd just like to see them win the big one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry about your Irish, Laurie. And we will add your Apostolic Age, just to cover even more bases.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1) The formation of the New Testament canon (A.D. 100-220) Apostolic Age
    2) ND 35 || Texas A&M 33

    ReplyDelete
  23. Woah, woah, woah... my girl Skylar is definitely not out of my league, have you seen this hunk of man (aka, yours truly?). Even though I will admit it's going to be an arduous road to the alter, what with celebrity tweets from the likes of Lil Wayne, Snoop Dogg, and Chris Brown (although I will admit, I doubt that last one's an issue... use don't abuse, I think), me and Skylar are not gonna not find love. It's bound to happen, especially after such a devastating lost, my strong, loving arms will be waiting to console her tomorrow morning at the dining hall.

    And mrssarge, no worries, it's what I do (helping the elder cross the street, getting kittens out of trees, and the like). I'm glad I can open your eyes to the many marvels of internet lingo, it's 2L2Q (too legit to quit). Also, abbreviations (aka, abreevs) should totally (aka, totes) be incorporated into your daily internet diet, obviously (aka, obvi). Take notes boys and girls.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mrs. McKeon, I also will say I'm about one more exam away from picking up the transfer papers... no worries though, young Jamarcus isn't following my example (which is why I should receive the Long Islands, just saying). I've also been looking at the possibilities of becoming a HoCro Bro (care to lax?)... or hell, even a Saint Mary's Belle. I'm sure that's legal right, if not I call sexism, I can definitely ride the sluttle...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, and I'm distraught over our loss tonight. Honestly, why does every team I ever end up rooting for let me down, it's no fair. Not to mention Adams looks like she's legitimately smuggling some Y-Chromosomes onto the court...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Not to be symbolic but I too will cover my ass and say Apostolic Age. Not to be confused with the rapid changes in my Systolic and Diastolic readings due to blog questions, election returns and sporting event viewing. EC is making me a workaholic but I suppose that is better than an alcoholic.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Louis, taking care of the elderly, like myself, will definitely get you bonus points in the female department. Good luck working the consolation angle at breakfast! Wear something dashing and what the heck... a little fine smelling cologne couldn't hurt your chances!

    ReplyDelete
  28. mrssarge,
    I mean, I'm not gonna not appreciate those EC points... I'm hoping Mrs. McKeon sees this! Oh, and no worries, I've got the aesthetics down. Do my GTL (Gym, Tan, Laundry) first thing in the morning, a fresh button down, and a killer scent... she's not going to know what hit her, besides my love and devotion of course.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mrs. Sarge - you don't happen to work for Lakeside Pediatrics do you? I know they have a big move this weekend :(

    ReplyDelete
  30. The formation of the New Testament canon (A.D. 100-220)
    The idea of a complete and clear-cut canon of the New Testament existing from the beginning, that is from Apostolic times, has no foundation in history. The Canon of the New Testament, like that of the Old, is the result of a development, of a process at once stimulated by disputes with doubters, both within and without the Church, and retarded by certain obscurities and natural hesitations, and which did not reach its final term until the dogmatic definition of the Tridentine Council.

    ND 35
    Texas A&M 33

    Stacy thanks for the note. The girls should have gotten their food yesterday. I believe I only missed one. Thank God I have Wanda to fix my mistakes.
    I have to say now that I know you are a parent from St. Joe's I am a tad bit embarrassed by my comments early in the game!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Also, not to be annoying, but... should't suechi's total only be 4? 2 for being correct and 2 for being second on the Holy??

    ReplyDelete
  32. Was it Yesteryear or Yore? Hmmmm. Either way, I bet they had great Apothecary Tables.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey, Louis--I thought that was just an extra point for being so thorough with my answer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey, Kim, don't worry about it, what happens on the blog, stays on the blog...(or something like that)..look for tonight's questions in about an hour...late again.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Kim, I can't imagine what you commented on that was embarrassing, but you don't have to worry about me. I put my foot in my mouth on a regular basis... somehow what seems funny in my mind does not translate the spoken word and stay funny. No worries.

    ReplyDelete