Sunday, April 3, 2011

HOLY AND LOWLY: WEEK TWO, THE POINTS JUST KEEP COMING

We are now officially well into this competition and frankly, there's a lot more math involved than I thought. Note to all the competitors: if I were you, I would be keeping track of my own points because the blogmaster cannot be trusted. Not because I'm trying to mess with anyone's score, but just because between the regular points, the speed points and all that ridiculous Extra Credit which fluctuates daily...I just can't keep up. Add in that I'm always posting on the fly, in the middle of my kitchen, while throwing together a marginal dinner for my family and pretending to listen to Dave McKeon's work stories (I tried to tell Dave that unless someone had a baby in the bathroom at work or he got a huge raise/bonus--I'm really not all that interested in the happenings of his job, but he just keeps talking to me about it anyway...and I just keep nodding in all the right places...works for us), it's a freaking miracle that I ever get a post up, let alone a post with numbers.

So, with that disclaimer in mind, here are the scores from Friday's questions, which you all answered correctly, by the way. Nice to see young McKeon first with the holy question, and it appears that he actually knew the answer, and I'm not surprised that John (with assistance from his lovely wife) nailed the Thirtysomething question. I did love that show, not going to lie...But they were kind of a big bunch of whiners and Stacy is so right, that Ethan kid was a huge brat. And really? who would have an affair with Elliot? He totally married up with Nancy and should have realized his good fortune and spent his entire life working to keep her happy...(like so many husbands I could mention...)  I digress--on to the scores:
John: TWO points for being right, THREE points for being first with the Thirtysomething question TWO for being second with the Holy question.  Total for the night:  A whopping SEVEN points.  Well done. You are the master. I would normally give you EC for saying that I am Thirtysomething and for knowing my kids' names (there are people related to us who have not mastered that knowledge) but I am awarding your wife a ton of EC points and I need to share the love...
Chris: TWO for correctness, THREE for the holy one, and TWO for being second. Your night's total: Lucky number SEVEN. You and John will be duking this one out...but do not let your guard down,
Stacy: TWO for correctness, TWO more for being third with both questions--Total: FOUR
Tricia: TWO for correctness and FIVE big, big EC points for your in depth Thirtysomething knowledge and for your Chris Craft connections.  A well deserved SEVEN points for you. Nice night.
Judy: TWO points for the answers and TWO EC points for chiming in from offsite. I totally appreciate the effort and your total for the night is FOUR.
Kim: TWO for answering correctly and TWO more EC points for posting while out of town and while under duress. You will be rewarded even more as this competition continues. Know that I am thinking and praying for you every day....FOUR points and keep up the great work.
Louis: TWO points for correct answers--and thanks for sticking by the babysitting offer. TWO points today
Amy: TWO points for the correct answers--aren't you learning so much about the Catholic faith? and TWO EC points for being such a great sport. Hope these FOUR big points help you feel better.
Mrs. Sarge: TWO points for you as well. and TWO big EC points for admitting to the crushes on Ken Olin and that bike riding Gary..Keep hitting the blog. I know that your life will be super crazy for a little while, but persistence WILL be rewarded..FOUR big points for you.
SueChi: TWO correctness points and TWO EC points for the spiritual enlightenment. I am so glad that this blog can fill in some of the gaps in your Catholic education. Your comments are helping to fill the enormous caverns in mine, obviously...FOUR for you
Irish Pete (that's his "boxing" name--like in the Fighter--I knew we shouldn't have let him watch that movie...)-TWO very big points for having the right answers (stolen from Chris) and FIVE huge EC points for showing me that you've learned something about your Catholic faith AND for adding to the collective Catholic knowledge of all of the competitors (and your mother); Your total: SEVEN--not bad for a boxer...

Now, here are the totals for the week:  You can do the math yourself and add this week's score to last week's--I need to get this post up so I can cheer on the Lady Irish...that Maya Moore of UConn is one tough competitor--the team will need my undivided attention and positive vibes to win...(I have now officially jinxed the Lady Irish...my own children call me the "Kiss of Death" as they seem to lose every game, match, competition, challenge that I ever go and watch...hence, this is why you rarely see me at their sporting events...also, because I'm not really all that interested in their sporting lives...but that's for another post)
John: 39 big, huge, masterful points. Pure speed and a great staff are ruling this contest...
Chris: right on his tail with 38 points for the week. Well done
Stacy: 30 points--still right in there.
Judy: 31 points--I knew you'd be in the hunt
Tricia: 29 points, baby--way to stick close
Mrs. Sarge: 25 big points. You are right in the thick of it...
Kim: 23 points--if you  hadn't missed that one day, you'd be even closer.
Suechi: 22 points--keep up the good work. Nice job pacing yourself. It's still anyone's game to win.
Louis: 17 points--you've got everyone right where you want them...it's time to  make your move.
Amy: 15 points--and Posey's hand me downs. Time is on your side. Keep posting. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
Sara: 12 points--I think. Let me know if I screwed your total up..
Pete: 7 big points. You can still win this thing. Trust me. The extra credit during Holy week will be massive...
Jane: 2 points. Again, keep in contact. The point totals will keep getting bigger.

I think I got everyone's points right. If not, send me an appeal and I will look into it...It is harder than it looks. And to keep the contest moving, starting tomorrow I will be awarding the 20 extra credit points each night this week to four and only four lucky competitors. (sorry, but this will be much easier for me) These points will be awarded as follows: 10 points to one competitor, 5 points to one, 3 to one and 2 to another. So, a great comment, a great answer, some quirky post up or anything else that strikes my fancy can earn one of you ten big points in one night, thus trumping the speed factor. Just hoping to level the  playing field once again...you're welcome. Without further ado, here are tonight's questions:
  1. How much was a 20 year old male worth in Israel during the time of Moses?
  2. On Desperate Housewives, what was the name of the woman that Tom Scavo had a child with before he was married,  what was the kid's name and where is she now? (on the show)
Pretty nice questions for a Sunday night. Let's see what you guys got, and let's see who will be the big TEN point winner!! I will post a top ten tomorrow night....Go, Irish, beat UConn...please,

51 comments:

  1. Males (20 - 60 years old) are worth 50 shekels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2. His daughter's name was Kayla Huntington whom he had with Nora Huntington. Kayla now lives with her grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby Mama was Nora Huntington - Kid was Kayla - at her grandparents

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. for now i'll copy john, but i think he's just bullshitting (I can swear, it's sunday). Males (20 - 60 years old) are worth 50 shekels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. like i thought, John was wrong, answer to 1 is:the price for a man twenty to sixty years old is about one and one-fourth pounds of silver. Thanks Leviticus

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamarcus,

    Leveticus 27:
    27:3 And thy estimation shall be of the male from twenty years old even unto sixty years old, even thy estimation shall be fifty shekels of silver, after the shekel of the sanctuary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. More than a woman’s.

    2. Nora Huntington (mother), Kayla Huntington (daughter), sent to live with her grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leviticus 27 (New International Version, ©2011) - Get with the times Jamarcus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Males (20 - 60 years old) are worth 50 shekels.

    Baby Mama was Nora Huntington - Kid was Kayla - at her grandparents

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found in an online bible I was right, but in my bible for class, John is right, so I'm going with John's answer, 50 shekels i guess. I think they're the same thing, different units or something. My apologies John, good work

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1) male 20-60....50 shekels of silver
    male 5-20.....20 shekels

    ReplyDelete
  12. 2) Mother...Nora Huntington
    Kayla....kid
    lives with grandparents

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok 50 stinkn' shekels. Still more than a lowly woman coming in at 30 shekels. You just know she was the one responsible for that man she marrieds wealth. Some things never change......

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laurie...I think that I am the first one right on the male age of 5-20 is worth 20 shekels....besides the male age of 20-60 is 50 shekels....2 correct answers that overlap.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jamarcus and Heinzmann...I must be really stupid....but how did you know where to specifically look for the male age question...how did you know it was in Leviticus?
    I must really be out of the loop.

    Very impressed with you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Judy, I respect what you're saying there. And actually, my Bible source said 20, but John's got some Scripture to back up his answer, too. This may well be one of those days where more than one answer will be rewarded...Now everyone get back to work and earn those 10 big EC points...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wanted to thank my youngest Andrew for cooperating with his nail cutting this evening. If he had behaved as normal, I would still be removing duct tape glue from his skin and the grooming post we use. But since he sat peacefully I was finished and resting when the post hit the blog. For those who don't believe me, ask Stacy as she ran into us when we were getting his haircut on Saturday. Holding Andrew for a haircut also grants special dispensation from all lenten sacrifices especially any that have to do with swearing. Since he was so behaved tonight, he now is an honorary member of the Holy and Lowly Contest Staff.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ironic that I checked for your Sunday post during a Desperate Housewives commercial break. I know it's a completely unrealistic confluence of personal tragedies and unlikely scenarios full of beautiful people... but I am hooked. I used to care enough to make sure I was in a different room than our daughters, but what the heck, they could use some exposure to back-stabbing, manipulative double-crossers. Oh yeah, they're teenage girls... they've got that covered.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry Laurie...have to go with UConn...my daughter-in-law is a graduate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Judy, that may cost you some EC points...UConn has been hogging the women's basketball spotlight for way too long...Time for someone else to get a crack at the top. I'd even settle for Stanford, anyone but UConn..

    Stacy, that was no coincidence. I, too, was watching Desperate Housewives when I thought up that obviously too easy question, but I did make Posey leave the room when it started. She has not yet made the jump to middle school girldom and all that high drama, and I'm praying she keeps it that way for at least a few more months...

    John, possibly a little EC for Andrew?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay, too busy scrubbing eggs boiled in coffee with toothpaste for the SJCA science fair project(actually Jake was doing the scrubbing, I was doing the timing and the wiping) to sit by the computer. Any of you coffee and tea drinkers want to know which toothpaste removed coffee stains the best - I am your lady!

    1) males age 20-60 are worth 50 shekels

    2) Kayla Huntington was the child; mom Nora Huntington; Kayla now lives with her grandparents.

    Thank you to all the champs who googled and sweated out the answers first.

    ReplyDelete
  22. If I ever become a Married Priest, you will either love of hate my homily's. No middle ground here. I will most like use many Big Dave don't be a pus... references.

    ReplyDelete
  23. 1) The male age of 5-20 is worth 20 shekels, and the male age of 20-60 is 50 shekels. I'm pretty sure those are just overlapping answers, but all-in-all, a male was probably, indeed, worth more than a woman. Hooray!

    2) Kayla Huntington was the child; mom Nora Huntington; Kayla now lives with her grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ah, the days of the SJ science fairs--don't miss those! Anyway, here are my answers--but were those 20-60 year olds handy around the house, did they cook, watch the kids--how much is a shekel anyway?

    1) Males age 20-60 were worth 50 shekels

    2) Kayla Huntington was the child; mom Nora Huntington; Kayla now lives with her grandparents. Watched that show tonight--finally a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey, John, We gave up on the FAFSA awhile ago. Even with three kids in college and three more in the wings, they told us to go pound sand...

    Once Lent is over, I will be reviving the P@$$& list once again. It is never ending, but seems like a bad idea to post up, even for me, during Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  26. And jpulera, how could you. Going against the Lady Irish, that's blasphemous. No worries Mrs. McKeon, I have your back. I've personally partied with some of the wonderful ladies on the team, gave them a little peptalk (kinda)... we got this in the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I also definitely just got judged as I pulled up the Desperate Housewife website/google search to double check the second question... so many judge-bullets in the library right now. Damn lowly...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sorry Louis...have to back my UConn daughter-in-law!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mrs. McKeon, can people get negative EC points?... I'm not pointing any fingers, but they may be necessary...

    ReplyDelete
  30. For the answers whatever Chris says and as for extra credit wow mom how much weight have you lost on this new diet? You look so good I can't even look at you. You know how in step brothers will ferrels voice is like a mixture of fergie and Jesus? Your body is like a mixture of fergie's and Jesus's with the face of Mila Kunis. Oh sorry I forgot what I was going to write for extra credit! Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't miss the SJ science fairs either..they should be called the SJ "parent" science fair!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Louis...you know what you can do with your finger...especially if you're talking about me!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Also, Mrs. McKeon, I'm positive this diet of which "Irish Pete" speaks off will compliment the epicness and success that was the BFC. That healthy diet plus all of the work that must go into maintaining your spotless, beautiful, and adequately-decorated house isn't going to not be out of control.

    I'd get ready though, the professors here this summer may mistake you for one of the either overtly ambitious/upsettingly slow undergraduate students taking classes on campus.

    ReplyDelete
  34. "Irish" Pete...are you on ambien or something? Whatever you're on....what you said about your mother is worth a lot of EC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I actually don't jpulera. I'm thinking write even more awesome comments to climb through the ranks of this competition?

    ReplyDelete
  36. I will say, as I sit here watching the Lady Irish and procrastinating on my studies, I can't help but notice our jerseys have the number on top, and the athlete's name below said number. Now, call me naive, but are all NCAA women's jerseys like this? It looks rather odd, and although my girl Skylar can look good in almost anything, I feel like some fashion advice from the famous McKeon's may be in order...

    ReplyDelete
  37. Louis....In order to climb through the ranks of this competition..like I 've told you before...you are going to have to climb the rungs on my ladder!

    ReplyDelete
  38. As some of the "homies" that I've met on my nights out around the South Bend, "I ain't scared".

    ReplyDelete
  39. Good night...Laurie...I'll see you at 5:15am!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. #1-I say too many !!!! (50 shekels)
    #2- Kayla Huntington,mom Nora. Kayla lives w/ her grandparents

    John just want you to know I do believe you and I definately feel your pain. Been there done that. Here at the Pechous household we have enough stories to fill a few novels. It's all about reveling in the peaceful moments and laughing at the less than perfect ones sometimes crying ,more than sometimes swearing, sometimes drinking well sometimes thinking about drinking since I don't really drink) the motto here: just try to get through each day with as much GRACE as possible. I hope when this is all over Chuck and I will have the pleasure of meeting you, tricia and andrew and the rest of the your gang

    Laurie Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I will do my best to keep my head in the game. Actually it has been a nice diversion. Just got home I needed to bring Grace home. Here for a day or two then I need to get back. Please continue with the prayers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I agree with Pete and for my other EC I upgraded that pic for you. If you don't like it, Fr. Ralph did it as an April Fools joke

    ReplyDelete
  42. GO IRISH WOMEN!!! Way to go--on to the National Championship game!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Kim, I love your attitude--will keep you and your family in my prayers also--God bless and hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks Sue!

    Laurie...your new photo of the guys...love it!...they need a little dose of vitamin D on their scalps!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Obviously,in a shameless attempt at garnering some major Extra Credit, Jamarcus took the liberty of changing the blog photo. What a scary looking crew! (but note the sartorial display---pretty well dressed for a bunch of punks)

    This photo was taken last spring when the boys did a fundraiser for Sarcoma Research in honor of their friend Jeff Collins. The entire tennis team shaved their heads and raised about $4,000 for the UW Sarcoma Fund. The best news is that Jeff Collins is doing great. And everyone's hair has grown back nicely. There were some pretty knarly scalps on that team. Thanks, Jamarc, for livening up the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  46. 1) males age 20-60 are worth 50 shekels

    2) Kayla Huntington was the child; mom Nora Huntington; Kayla now lives with her grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  47. And yes Laurie, I'm learning so much from your blog. Between the Holy and Lowly challenge and my Catholicism for Dummies book (gift from Mark lol), I'm sure to be the star student in my RCIA classes. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete