Thursday, June 2, 2011

TEAM BALDY

Obviously, without a contest I cannot be trusted to ever post on this blog. I keep thinking I will get around to it,and then, something comes up that makes me lose my focus, and then I get tired and then I just don't post....same old, ugly, procrastinating story. I'd apologize, but it seems so insincere, when I never actually change my slacker behavior.  I guess for now, it is what it is.

Today is the last day of school for the McKeon progeny and I couldn't be more excited. I mean it...I LOVE SUMMER.  love it, love it, love it.  The pressure is off and the schedule eases up a bit. Because of my own personal "Back to School" plans, my summer will be quite short (like three and a half weeks) but right now, that's ok with me. Once we get through Jack's graduation this weekend, I am officially off the clock for 20 days...OK, there is some sort of school assignments that I keep hearing about, but until I actually buy my books, I don't think I can get much traction there...(Guess who is NOT going to be class valedictorian??, or voted most likely to succeed??)

Today we're busting my mom out of her "rehab" center...(it's really a nursing home, but we keep calling it a rehab center, so she feels more positive about the whole experience...didn't really work, but she did stick with the program). She's rehabbed herself back into fighting shape and now will be returning to her apartment. Fingers crossed that all goes well. And she regains enough mobility and sense to occasionally stop by my house this summer while I am gone and make sure that it has not been converted into Frat Row, and if she could throw in a load of whites, that'd be even better.

Now for today's topic: Team Baldy...The boys' tennis team once again has shaved their heads in support of Sarcoma Research. You all recall the beautiful photos of last year's team, headlined by Chris "Six Flags Old Guy" McKeon. Well, here is this year's version. (Jack is the big one in the middle, Nate is next to him. Pete is the punky one on the far right--they do not look good...but it's for a good cause)




I must confess, it is quite impressive to me that these high school kids are super gung ho to shave off their hair for a good cause. (just about the whole team went total full on bald for this great cause). I also must confess that I nicked up way more scalps this year than I did last year. (Sorry, Matt Mattuecci, no one will see the scar from that big gash I gave you once your hair grows back). 

For those of you who do not know the full back story, please allow me to fill you in. About a year and a half ago, Jeff Collins--a great kid who is a good friend of Chris' and was a UW-Madison freshman last year, was diagnosed with Sarcoma. His little brother Pete is on the tennis team with various and sundry McKeon boys. Jeff started chemo close to the beginning of tennis season last year, and the 2010 tennis team, captained by Chris "I wear fake mustaches during matches" McKeon, in solidarity with Jeff and in an effort to raise some money for Cancer research, shaved their heads--baldy shave with a real live razor, not just a buzz cut. I must point this out for a few reason: 1. chemo leaves people bald, not just buzzed. 2. baldy shave is way uglier than buzz cut shave--human hair, even super short hair covers up a lot of bumpy, disfigured scalps. 3. it takes FOREVER to shave to the skin, like an hour per head. (head shaving tip: use soap and water, first go with the grain, then against it.) 4. I did most of the head shaving and 5. I am not a trained professional.  Last year's team, with their skin head look, raised about $3600 which they donated to the University of Wisconsin  Carbone Cancer Center Sarcoma Research Fund. (their donation actually helped establish this fund, as Sarcoma is a rather rare cancer and research money was scarce)

Flash forward to Spring of 2011:  Jeff Collins is cancer free, he returned to Madison last August, completed the entire school year, aced his classes, has a full head of hair, and continues to kick Chris McKeon's ass on the golf course. The tennis team, this year captained by Jack "the hair on my face is way longer than the hair on my head" McKeon, once again wanted to show their support for sarcoma research and celebrate Jeff's great results. A few weeks ago (yeah, yeah, I know. I should have posted this whole deal like the night we shaved heads, but I didn't...so, sue me) the team once again gathered in the always lovely McKeon garage for the great hair massacre 2011. (There is a great picture of Jeff's mom and fellow head shaver Patty Collins and I with the team surrounding a big, scary, ugly mound of shaved hair, but I can't figure out how to turn it into a jpeg thing and insert it in the blog--your welcome, because looking at that pile of hair will make you nauseous).  Jeff even made a guest appearance to view this year's head shaving and shoot some hoops with Chris, flaunting his full head of hair. So, as the school year winds down, the boys asked if I could use the power of this blog (please do not miss the intended irony of the phrase "power of the blog") to help them drum up some final donations. I know that they've hit many of you up already, but for those of you who escaped/ignored/ducked Team Baldy and have had a  crisis of conscience, here's your chance to make amends:  Please go online and make a donation at :  http://our.uwhealth.org/page/outreach/view/Sarcoma/sjca. What a great way to kick off summer and support a great cause. A huge thank you to those who have already donated and a huge thanks in anticipation of those of you who respond to the pleas of some bald headed adolescents. 

Enjoy these first few days of summer break. And I really do promise to post again soon. (I swear, I mean it) I  am also planning a new, quick, three week contest to pump me up before I go back to the life of a co-ed. Stay tuned. 

Today's Top Ten: 
  1. Restoration Hardware outlet--I asked Dave McKeon to stop by there to pick up some full size sheets for Posey's new bed, and he came home with a leather sofa...so then we had to go back and buy a new rug to match the sofa...the new lamps were just a happy side benefit. 
  2. Hummus and Pita from the Muffin Tin in Michigan...or from somewhere else... tastes like summer.
  3. Jack Rogers new skimmer flats--I got the navy ones and lo and behold, Jack Rogers new looks were featured in Town and Country this month....
  4. Dirk Nowitski --he's a crazy hard worker, modest and isn't mired in scandal
  5. Vitamin water zero--my new beverage of choice...trying to kick the Diet Dr. Pepper habit
  6. Adele--I know I'm coming late to this party, but she really is great
  7. "Give in To Me"--from the Country Strong sound track--Annie McKeon made me a CD with some songs on it and I'm addicted to this one. 
  8. Brooks Brothers' new line for girls--classic looks, nice price point, and the tennis stuff is adorable
  9. Nate and Jack McKeon--playing doubles in the state tennis tournament tonight--it's kind of a fluke. (they are not very good) Trust me, they will be home by early tomorrow morning to help clean out the garage for Jack's graduation party-Works for everyone
  10. Our beach--somehow, once all the snow and ice melted this spring, the McKeons ended up with bonafide beach right on Lake Michigan...it is a true miracle and we could not be more excited. We realize it is most likely temporary, but for now, we are loving it...thank you, global warming.
Have a great night, thanks for supporting Sarcoma research.


5 comments:

  1. Love the post! Hope you oiled and cleaned the clippers in between clients! They'll purr like a kitten!

    I am back at bootcamp..my foot is about 95% better! By the sounds of it all you will be busy with school this summer. I'm sure you will show up every now and then.

    I'm sure this won't happen...but don't turn into a couch potatoe on that new leather couch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honest to God...you are the second person TODAY that told me they bought a couch from RH. I'll take your old stuff...your rejects have to be better than anything I have in my house!
    BTW, based on Brian's current read on his Kindle (Sh*t My Dad Says), I say YCSMIHK blog is well on it's way to stardom! I know you've just perfected this blogosphere but Twitter, baby, Twitter!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But did he remember to buy the sheets?


    Sara - WTF? Your house is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to see the tennis team go bald again, and I'm a big fan of the newly-coiffed kids smiling in the photo, instead of trying to look tough and looking kind of scary.

    Laurie - you'll have to provide us with more details about your upcoming classes... are you really leaving home for a month to be a student? Can I come? Ah, the best of times...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quotes in the paper from your son, Jack.

    Miss you at bootcamp!

    ReplyDelete