Saturday, June 25, 2011

COED UPDATE

Don't be too shocked but I am giving you all a quick update on my life as a co-ed.  Yeah, I know I should be doing my homework, but I'm reverting quickly to my old college/law school behavior of needing to take a break every hour...(half hour) and yes, you, my friend,s are my break...

Here are a few quick observations:
  1. I'm kind of old...there are many "students" here who are not yet thirty...they all seem like super nice people, but it's hard for me to not ask them to take out the garbage or to tell them all to go make their beds. I refrain, because I have to stay on their good sides because I will be at their mercy the minute some heavy duty technology project is due...
  2. This will come as a big shock (to no one) but I am already figuring out ways to bribe these hipsters to do some of the heavy lifting for me....Do not think that these "Teach for America" kiddies, who are taking out student loans to get their MNAs cannot be bought.by Dave McKeon's hard earned money.( I am just trying to set my pricing strategy in advance because I don't want to start out too high and then lose my bargaining power come crunch time...)
  3. There is more work than I thought...shiiiitttt. I had heard that this program was intense, but I was hoping there was a bit of urban legend in it...No such luck.  I am going to have to apply myself.
  4. I need to buy some highlighters...and a stapler. Should have packed these but I guess I thought my papers were going to staple themselves now.. Also, I guess my books will be highlighting themselves, because obviously, I'm not making that happen right now...
  5. Many of my classmates take great notes and create all these study guides that they are willing to share (for free---non profiteers all the way).  I will probably not be able to return the favor, but I am more than happy to big up the check. 
  6. Living in a dorm is oddly freeing--no overhead, no maintenance.  It's only been a day an a half, so ask me come week three how I feel about living in a 9 by 10 foot space, but for now, it's ok... ish...except for the communal bathroom...don't ask
  7. There are a lot of people doing some very cool non profit stuff.  It's interesting to see all of the unique perspective out there...Some day I will tell you about the guy in my class who is a political fundraiser who had to get Chinese food for Bill Clinton...it is hysterical. 
  8. I don't think I'm the dumbest one in the class (actually, everyone is pretty damn accomplished--stupid high standards at Notre Dame...)However, there is a very good chance that I am quite possibly the second dumbest...
  9. It's very cool to be back on the ND Campus. I got up early this morning to run around the lakes and make a stop at the Grotto.  Just like old times...(except I run WAY slower)
  10. I miss Dave and the kids more than I thought.. much more. It's hard to realize when you are so immersed in your day to day life, how disconcerting it is to be totally removed from it and dropped into an entirely different day to day.... I'm sure I will get more used to it, and am even more certain that Dave McKeon will be here soon for a conjugal visit, but it's still very foreign to know that this experience is totally mine..However, their is a guy in my class who is a dead ringer for Chris McKeon (he even has a very similar sense of humor...he totally cracks me up) and he has a super good natured friend (like Jack), so I get a little taste of the brotherhood, and have a real good idea of what they will be like in about five years..Still looking for the Nate and Pete doppelgangers, but time will tell. 
That's all I have time for tonight.  Thanks to all of you who sent your best wishes.  If I survive, I think I will learn a ton, and I promise to make you all proud...(don't worry about my integrity, I'm not going to pay these kids to do my homework....I just want to put a few of them on retainer to handle my technology needs...)

Study break's up, time for me to get my fat, old ass back to work.  I will post up soon...(actually because I now spend so much time at my computer, I will probably post on a more regular basis...she says optimistically....)

17 comments:

  1. Since there is no "LIKE" button, I'll just say it. LIKE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds exciting - nice to be back on your old stomping ground. Didn't you just leave Friday - when the heck did your classes start? Talk about diving in head first! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be a great chapter in your book! Thanks for the update. Stay well....

    ReplyDelete
  4. NIce to hear from you Laurie! Keep up the good work and positive attitude!!!!! Best to you (I have to say i am a bit jealous, I loved college despite some bumps in the road). I have often said if I could go back I'd do it so much better the second time. I'd have more fun and I wouldn't take my self so seriously!!! So work hard (which I am sure you will do) and have some fun too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How's the food? Dorm food? Ramen noodles?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got this email :)

    There once was a pervert named Weiner
    Who had a demented demeanor.
    Forced from the Hill
    For acting like Bill
    Now Congress is one weiner leaner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, now that'a a winning limerick. I probably owe that person a prize.

    Am typing a paper as we speak but I quickly checked the blog...would it kill you guys to comment a little more frequently--oh, and by the way, the food still sucks. I just keep going out, because I am a grownup and have a visa.

    Further, my adult ADD is very apparent now that I am in school. I seriously cant sit still for an hour...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you sat still for an hour since you became a parent? Six kids - I doubt it. ADD, hmm....studying is boring - let's face it. College is about the social experience (hence my lucrative career - can you tell which path I took?). I have the attention span of a gnat - I can't even pay attention to the weather forecast on the news. You are not alone my friend. Kimberly misses you at the Creek - coming home for a short break this weekend?

    Happy 4th Everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs. McKeon,
    My apologies for being a stranger on this blog, I just now got back from my study abroad and could never access it across the pond. Great job on the challenge, and kudos for going back to ND.
    I, myself, will actually be visiting Notre Dame in two weekends... rumor has it I may commandeer a dorm room and throw an old fashioned, dorm soirre... your presence would, of course, make the party so I'll keep you posted on details. You're not gonna not drop by?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laurie, you were on my mind tonight! Hope you actually got to go home for the holiday weekend. Can't wait to read more on your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anyone need a laugh? Copy and paste this link and read. OMG!

    http://www.facebook.com/notes/john-heinzmann/am-i-wrong-i-need-to-move-to-whitefish-bay/10150243330955798

    ReplyDelete
  12. Waiting for an update & hopefully a top ten!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laurie - Next time you need a study break, you need to start pulling some dorm pranks... you know, Saran Wrap someone's door while they're in their room, put some rubber vomit in the hallway... the possibilities are endless. I'm sure it won't be as funny as it was 25 years ago, but it will be a timely distraction. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So one of the dogs has an "accident" in the house today & little John says, "Shidiot". He's totally right!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Missing you at Pennoyer Park for bootcamp! Liza said to tell you hello....she didn't know where you have been....I filled her in. She is running a half marathon today....and sadly...her husband's MS has been getting worse. I' sure you're trying to get a run in evey now and then, too. Oh...and Alissa said hello, too!

    Anyways...take care....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mrs. McKeon,

    I was at Notre Dame yesterday afternoon/night and have to say I was a little upset I didn't see you wandering around the wonderful campus (infested by blonde soccer camp girls), I even checked in to LaFun thinking I may find you working another blog entry. Regardless, I will be back next weekend: so the opportunity to join myself and my buds for our get-togethers still stands.

    ReplyDelete