Wednesday, March 30, 2011

HOLY AND LOWLY: THE SAGA CONTINUES

I'm coming, I'm coming. Keep your pants on....Sorry, I was out with my lady friends celebrating someone's special Happy Birthday. We were out a little longer than I anticipated...Happy Birthday, Kristi Ambro, many happy returns.

Once again, fine, fine comments. Great answers. And speed is still King. You are all a masterful bunch of players and I am overwhelmed not only by your knowledge, (or ability to cheat, pilfer and lift knowledge) but by your tenacity and strategic gamesmanship. Oh, I  was prepared for Jamarcus, Judy and Louis to fight to the death, but Stacy, John, Tricia and Kim??Who knew? And please, don't for one hot second count out Mrs. Sarge or Suechi.  Both of them know EXACTLY how to appeal just enough to my soft spots to garner maximum EC. Burberry jumper, indeed. (It's a mighty fine jumper, what I like to call an "investment piece"--it is kind of pricey, but it's a classic that I have and will wear often so it is amortized over several seasons and thus justifies the high sticker price. Try explaining that logic to Dave McKeon with a straight face--he so wasn't buying it....."You paid more for that jumper than I paid for my first car. An investment is a share in Berkshire-Hathaway, not a dress that looks like it was made from the sofa in my parents basement..."  Oh, well, some people just don't get it. Wait until I try to rationalize the LongChamp bag I just ordered....)

The answers to last night's questions were not all that hard, (nice try with the Joshua red herring, John) as long as your internet was working fast. I already knew the Tommy Lee Jones one because I find it just fascinating. All that Ivy League college roomie stuff. Did you know that Scout Willis (daughter of Bruce and Demi--though I'm sure you all knew that) was roommates with little Emma Watson of Harry Potter fame at Brown? Emma has since left school to model and act--shocker there)

With that fun fact in mind, here is the scoring: Chris, John, Judy, Sue, Amy, Mrs. Sarge, Tricia, Loius and Kim, all TWO big points. Where is Sara?? Should I be worried?

Stacy--Fast and Furious--first with both answers--that is a major SIX points for you. Excellent work. You are coming on...that's an EIGHT point night for you
John--Pretty fast and furious--second with both answers--FOUR additional points coming your way-SIX total for the night. Moving up fast
Judy--Third one to buzz in with the Trivia answer--ONE additional speed point---getting faster every night
Mrs.Sarge--That internet can't be too slow, ONE speed point for being third with the Rahab answer. (and yes, you were the first one to spell it right, but no, spelling does not count, nor does typing. I am weak at both, so I won't hold it against any of you)

Chris, sorry about the auto text mix up. but you live by the high tech, you die by the high tech. There are no retroactive points in this contest. Just get the answers right next time. Judy, I also apologize for not giving you credit for outing Kristi McNichol. My mistake. But to make everyone feel better, and try harder, and jump higher (and because I can never decide who gets the EC,)  I am awarding a total of FIFTEEN Extra Credit points tonight. Yeah, you read that right 15. And here is how they are going down:
Kim; FOUR big, big points for great detail, interesting subject matter and for bringing in Ivy League football, another one of my odd interests. (also, saying I looked fabulous sure didn't hurt your cause)
MrsSarge: FOUR big points for you, too. I liked your comments, I feel bad that you have to work so late, and I, too, would not turn down a date with Tommy Lee Jones. I would take a huge pass on his roommate, because Tricia is totally right that he can't dance, and that is a big issue for me. Along with many other things...like his big fat....carbon footprint...
The following contestants get ONE EC point:
Tticia: for being so honest about the scoring for last night AND for mocking Al's dancing
Judy: because I feel bad about not giving her credit for her Kristi McNichol comment
Stacy: for the awesome poem. I was rolling
John: because I can't resist those song montages
Jamarcus: because he mentioned Brian Kelly (Go, Irish--just please win some games)
Amy: because even sick she hits the blog, stakes her claim and  I LOVED the botox story...I'll take your botox, I need all the help I can get keeping that straight face while I explain my clothing expenses to Dave.
UpsideDown Kate: for copping to a crush on TLJ and the Joshua throw down. Remember Kate, we're all Catholics, we really don't know that much about the Bible...

THIS JUST IN: BREAKING NEWS: according to Sue Chiappetta who just called me, I am now over 20,000 hits!!!! it's a miracle. I am SO super excited. thank you all. There will be major EC points tomorrow!!!

And now, with no further delay (and again, I apologize for being late--blame the birthday girl and her upside down cake...
  1. What do we call the Church's office which teaches on matters of faith and morals?
  2. This is a two parter: A. Name the favorite 90s cartoon series that featured a 5th grade boy who lives in a boarding house with his grandparents. B. In one episode of this show, this boy and his family compete in a game show with  another family. Name the famous guest star/voice in that episode.
You must answer both parts to get full credit. No time for a top ten, I know you are all chomping at the bit for these questions. I promise you I was not using you to up the count, I was just distracted by the birthday fun....who we kidding?? Doesn't take much.

good luck--20K all the way....

51 comments:

  1. Twenty thousand hits, people. that is ten tons!!Again, sorry about the late post. Girl night ran late. Hey, Jamarcus, you of all people should be used to LMST--Laurie McKeon standard time..I can't believe you let John beat you on that Hey, Arnold answer. I teed that one up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Office of Faith Formation is the real answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I this much of a loser? WTF is everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2. Hey Arnold - Ryan Seacrest

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2. Hey Arnold - Ryan Seacrest
    1. Office of Faith Formation

    man i knew the hey arnold one, i was just busy doing other things, i couldn't be at my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Stacy, welcome to Loserville. Meet you at BDubs for some wings, beer and trivia. You game?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The office of Faith Formation , Hey Arnold with the voice of Ryan Seacrest! CONGRATS on 20000+hits, Laurie! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, thanks. I am super psyched, and because I am in such a great mood, I just want to let you know that according to the ACRE, there is a fancy name for question 1 that is not "office of faith formation" or the vatican. That question is still up for grabs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. btw, if any day i receive EC, i believe it should be tomorrow bc i delivered you many a follower which means i delivered you many hits too. just in case you forgot i thought i'd throw that out there, something not many other followers can say

    ReplyDelete
  10. )Office of Formation

    2)Ryan Seacrest--Hey Arnold(4th grader)

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes and jpulera is right, hey arnold is a 4th grader

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes, i think 1)is the Magisterium of the Catholic Church. that's what my Catholic teachings from k-college have taught me anyways

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jamarcus, get me up to an even 100 followers and the EC will follow. Now go answer that Catholic question so I don't feel like you are wasting my tuition money.

    John, don't feel like a loser--you are well on track to be a winner...in the Holy and lowly challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Changing #1 Again. Lots of copy cats here. I believe the correct answer for 1 is Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith

    That is my final answer. Now everyone else has got to pick one. Mwhahhahhahaha !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi John - Join me in Loserville? The wings are great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. BTW Laurie - Have I told you that I think you look great and have a keen sense of fashion? Just wanted you to know. And I believe in abstinence and 3 Tiffany candlesticks as wedding gifts and laptop computers for all students. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. On Dec 7 1965 the Name Changed from Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith to the Curial Office. Description: promote and safeguard the doctrine on faith and morals in the whole Catholic world.

    ReplyDelete
  18. eeny meeny miny mo - I have not studied this hard since I was not at Notre Dame! Forget what I said about the final answer. I'm changing my mind again and going with Curial Office. Could it be that there is more than one correct answer?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't believe in laptops for all students. I believe in iPads for all students. Laptops are blasé. Cloud based computing on tablets is way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1)I agree with Heinzmann.....Pope Benedict approved documents from his old offices at the CONGREGATION for the DOCTRINE of the FAITH.

    2)again...ryan seacrest/hey arnold(4th grader)

    AMEN!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Heinzmann...the correct answer is Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith ...it oversees Catholic Doctrine.

    Roman Curia can be compared to cabinets in governments. It is the government/staff.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Way to dominate, Heinzmann...quite impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Follow this link to see just what you guys are up against. You think Jamarcus is technologically advanced? I just sent my staff home. They did a great job tonight: http://goo.gl/O2Lws

    ReplyDelete
  24. Where has Kristi Ambro been in this contest?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Laurie...when your LongChamp bag arrives just pretend that you had it for awhile and you just forgot about it.....just blow it off like it's no big deal because it's from a shopping spree a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This effen SUCKS - I can not decide what is right. I think jpulera has it right. Going back to my final answer from at least an hour ago.

    Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith

    FML!!!

    Night All.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have Monk Malloy on speed dial as my life line for tomorrow night's question!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Heinzmann...it's effen VODKA! Really....great job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. hey all, just want to put it out there I DID NOT cheat tonight!!!!

    1)Hey, Arnold this particular show aired October 23,1999,episode 6 of season4, show #72.....Ryan Seacrest

    2)The Magisterium is the teaching office of the Catholic Church. It is exercised by the Pope alone when he teaches officially, or by the whole "college" of bishops together with the Pope.

    ReplyDelete
  30. hey judy and sue thanks for the thumbs up yesterday. Just read the comments. since i see i dont have stealthly reflexes of obi won to earn myself first place i have resigned myself to enjoying the more scholarly aspect of this competition. gotta love to learn!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. John & Stacy - why would you go to BWW? Gordy's is MUCH better! Shout out to Linda & Bruno :) Laurie I'm googling your LongChamp bag, sorry John.

    ReplyDelete
  32. longchamp,who knew it was a bag!!! I thought it was a former abbey in france, the chancellor of england or the tanker vessel kidnapped off the yemenite coast

    Learn something new everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  33. although kate moss does look smashing in the ads!!!!!!

    and the bags are pretty amazing as well!!!! since I can't get my husband to even buy me a new car(I believe its been easily since I first met you laurie that I have been talking about a new car). I am pretty certain the bag is no where in my future. so when you tire of it,sad to say,i'd be happy to take it off your hands!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. 1. The Magisterium
    2. 4th-grader Arnold, lives with his grandparents Phil and Gertrude, proprietors of the Sunset Arms boarding house. Ryan Seacrest of American Idol was the voice of the host of "Fighting Families".

    Notice how late I posted - I'm too tired to compete against John. I think I've lost my will to win :(

    The LongChamp bag - WINNING!

    ReplyDelete
  35. 1) Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith

    2) Hey Arnold - Ryan Seacrest

    I was also going to point out that Hey Arnold was a fourth grader, but you guys beat me to that as well... this is ridiculous. Don't you grown ups have jobs to be at and rugrats to take care of? How the hell are you on here so fast. I don't haz the speed.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just a few comments:
    John, seriously, did you bug my house? I swear you answered that Hey, Arnold question before I even posted it. Did you already know that one, or do you have a crackerjack trivia staff backing you up?
    Kim, do not forsake the Longchamp bag. They have many colors and styles, some which are quite affordable. Those vinyl tote style ones are very cool and all the rage on college campuses. You can customize and monogram them. And they take a beating. The leather ones you can customize are the ones that caught my eye-again, this is an investment piece. And don't feel bad, Dave won't buy me a new car either...not until at least one of our kids gets off the college funding plan.
    Tricia, smart thinking. Always go for the hand bag. You obviously have not lost the will to win...you are just winning in a different way.

    And, am thinking about having our blog "family reunion" at Gordys...that could so work for us.

    Finally, look for tonight's questions around 7pm. I'm exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The Longchamp Expandable Duffel in Bilbery is quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sorry... missed the main round. Exhausted from the previous night and had to be up early to pick up doughnuts from Oliver's for Brock's birthday. Better get these in before the next post. Totally cheating today, although I was pretty certain it was Hey Arnold when I initially read the question.
    1) Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith
    2) Hey Arnold - Ryan Seacrest

    ReplyDelete
  39. We will also cover Kim's Magisterium answer just to keep all bases covered. Thanks Kim and thanks to all of you pros with the inital answers.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Congrats Laurie on 20,000... I recall when all you wanted for Christmas was 10,000. Book deal is closer and closer! Thanks also for the EC. I will need it. 8 days until the infamous move!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Louis, haven't you been reading the comments from us grown-ups? We are all going to need rehab from our blog addiction and attorneys to defend us in court when social services tries to take our children away for neglect and being taped to toilets!

    ReplyDelete
  42. mrssarge, those poor kids... maybe you all should take that first step and work on that addiction, let us busy college kids rack up some points and get the first comment perhaps?

    Also, I freaking loved Hey Arnold. Thanks for reminding of that show, although Helga always kind of scared me... that name always makes me picture a massive, bulky, scary German viking chick, no bueno.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Laurie I am definitely not forsaking any bag.I am all about the bag and the bigger the better!!!!!

    Tina as I said before I'll share my answers/points with you any time. Although tonight I may be going off your answers! It's been a long day and I'm off again in a little while. MY WISH IS TO BE ASLEEP BY 7PM! But I'm certain that won't be happening, so as soon as I get back to my sisters my head is hitting the pillow!!!!

    ReplyDelete