Thursday, March 24, 2011

HOLY AND LOWLY: THE SAGA CONTINUES

Late again...again...Sorry, I will try to make this one short as I am super tired. Moreover, if I post this real fast, I may be able to get these questions up before Jamarcus finishes his shift at the Notre Dame phone center. 

Man, I sure didn't mean to start some big old issue with the number of married Catholic priest question. In all honesty, I was watching the NBC news at 10, saw that story about that married Episcopalian who was ordained a Catholic priest, heard the announcer say "There are close to 100 married Catholic priests in the US" . And because I was way too lazy to get up and get my newly obtained copy of the ACRE test off of my desk, I thought: "well, there's a holy question" and just typed it up. You guys are giving me way too much credit. I WISH I could think up trick questions, I'm still super glad when I think up ANY questions.

So, for tonight, as poor Liz Taylor's body lies in state, everybody is a winner. Any answer whatsoever involving anything remotely close to "married priest"  is fine with me. (I feel like Will Farrel acting as Alec Trebeck) 80, 100, 20,000, who's counting? You all get your two points because I think Elizabeth  (thanks, Tricia, for that little nugget of knowledge) would have wanted it that way. Thus, John Heinzmann, because he did answer first, gets those crucial two "early bird" points. Explain that to your wife, John.  I think those two points may be considered "community property" in several states. I'll leave you two to hash that one out.

So, John has four points, the rest of you have two, and I am ready to award those elusive 10 extra credit points. This is harder than it looks--because there are so many great comments, and so many interesting facts and factoids. So tonight, I'm going to work backwards and tell you who is NOT getting extra credit--nothing personal---1. Despite his current stroke of good fortune in the grade department, (and his ability to drive traffic to the blog) Chris McKeon will not be getting any extra credit tonight. Hey, Chris, you know what your reward is for getting good grades, right? We continue to pay your tuition for another semester....Although, that whole 33 comment may well earn you extra credit the next time. 2. Adam, sorry pal, you threw the Dave McKeon card last night and were well comped. Can't play that trick again quite so soon. Nice try though.3. Louis, I love you like a son (which, depending on the son, could be a whole lot, or not so much), and really appreciate your self less effort to keep Chris away from the Capri Suns, but you will not be getting any extra credit tonight either, because I have just capriciously (get that pun?) decided:
 That in honor of Elizabeth Taylor, IT'S LADIES NIGHT!!! All night long....
So, ladies, here is how I am divvying up those precious ten points:
SueChi: TWO very important extra credit points for standing firm on your "Once a priest, always a priest" answer. I love a woman of conviction and you, my friend, are that.
Stacy: TWO extra credit points for you as well...nice, nice work for connecting Don Taylor back to Elizabeth via the rat pack. Any time you can work Regis Philbin (ND Class of  '53) into an answer, I'm impressed.
Kim: How can I not reward you for your masterful use of the blog? TWO extra credit points for you, mostly for bringing Sr. Sylvia into the mix, but also for your super fast learning curve on hammering the blog and posting up repeatedly. Love it
Tricia: The double eyelash thing was quite compelling, but your husband already got two points, you got one last night, and I'm a little nervous about stirring up any marital discord...so I am going to give you just ONE extra point tonight. However, please note, I not only read your entire comment, but enjoyed every single word of it. I think you have a real future in this contest....your details are excellent.
Amy: I feel your three year old pain, but again, I've spent time with all your kids, and let's just put it this way, if Chris McKeon's horrible behavior at three was worth 10 extra credit points, Ava Parker's behavior at three is only worth ONE. She has miles to go before she is even within striking distance of the terror that was young Chris (we actually asked the priest to re-baptize him at Nate's baptism because we were pretty sure the first time didn't take) Sorry....
Mrs. Sarge: You, too, get ONE point of extra credit because you are just so darn nice. Good luck with the move. Tell those docs to  give you a big, fat raise AND a Burberry scarf (cashmere) AND a Tiffany bracelet. You deserve it.
Judy: You know you are my idol, but I can't make this too easy for you. ONE extra credit point for not only being a lady, but for being a lady who can kick Louis' ass. I love the "rung on my ladder" comment. I just read that same phrase in the funniest article in this month's GQ. Not only are you a kick ass lady, but you are a hip and culturally relevant one, too.

OK, I think that adds up to TEN. Now, the moment you've all been waiting for: Tonight's questions:
  1. (and this comes straight off the ACRE test) What is the purpose of the Homily at Mass? (and the answer, providing Dave McKeon with a chance to discreetly check football scores on his Blackberry doesn't count. He really does do this, and one Sunday, some little old lady told the priest on him.  Laughed my ass off....)
  2. Speaking of Regis Philbin, how much money did he contribute to Notre Dame's DeBartolo Performing Arts Center (he paid for the experimental "Black Box" theatre) and what percentage was his gift of the total cost of the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center? (yeah, this one involves a little math....)
That's all  for tonight. I have to go cry in my pillow because my Jimmer Fredette is out of the tournament and I have no one else to root for....

Get posting, people.  These questions aren't that hard, and Jamarcus will be home soon.

50 comments:

  1. The Purpose of the homily is to explain the readings and make them relevant for the present day. This is the task of the priest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the Catechism:
    Preaching by an ordained minister to explain the Scriptures proclaimed in the liturgy and to exhort the people to accept them as the Word of God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homily: Signifies the sermon to Christions with the taking of the bread. The homily is used as a sign of Christian worship. It is a commentary without a formal introduction. It delivers the lesson of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2- Total Cost $64 million - Regis gift $2.75 million

    Percentage of total cost was: 4.29%

    ReplyDelete
  5. IMPORTANT NEWS FLASH!! Brian Pond is back!! Brian, your first comment went to spam?! (what's up with that??) And when I finally checked the spam thing, there you were. Well I quickly remedied that little error and here you are. Look at the time line on you, John and Judy(merely minutes apart)...may the fastest typist win. And come on now, who knows the Regis donation answer??? Right and first on this one equals two big points...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regis gave 2.75 million to help pay for the 64 million building. John's in bed and I don't want to think that much. It looks like around 4 to 5 percent.

    The purpose of the homily is for me to talk to my son, right?

    By the way, how can we get Regis to St. Joe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. WTF?? Where's the love? This is Sara (I'm having flashbacks to the inaugural post now!) Haha! And I'm still feverishly looking for that damn Regis answer. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. $64,000,000 building cost

    Regis donated $2.75 million

    Regis donated 4.3per cent of the total cost

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jane! 4.296875% to be exact.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laurie....we need some fun, trashy/gossip questions!! Math isn't my gig!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good night!!! Bootcamp comes awfully early in the morn!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the exact number! At the moment, i am slightly behind in 5th grade math! Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wanted all of you to know that I had to pause Hannity in order to be first in with the answers. Getting my Fixed News fix. Oh yeah, Contest do have consequences baby! I like this late thing, keep up the good work Laurie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Only in the interest of extra credit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Scriptures are not always easy to understand and apply to present life. For this reason the homily breaks open the Scriptures, showing how the word of God addresses us today. What import does the Gospel have for our lives today, for the world we live in, for issues in the community forum? (How many versions of the Our Catholic Faith books have I purchased over the years??? And FINALLY, it pays off!)

    Total Cost $64 million - Regis gift $2.75 million, Percentage of total cost was: 4.29%

    Sorry about your Irish Laurie, but I have to go... Bucky is trying to pull one out of the dumper!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok...Catholic guilt has settled in. I am feeling VERY guilty for swearing on this blog now that it has a religious bend. I've spent the last 25 minutes reliving my comment (shockingly hard to believe, huh Brian?) Hopefully this little comment will serve as my confession...I'll say three Hail Mary's... and go to bed. Hopefully I won't be struck by lightning during the night. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sara I feel your guilt. I too am feeling remorseful for breaking the 11th Commandment , Thou shall not do the stir the butter dance whilst celebrating being first in with the answers again. This theology book is getting good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Actually got out of bed at 12:15 to check on this--the purpose of the homily is to develop the theme established between the three readings and to relate them to the times we live in--admirable and inspiring when done well.

    Regis Philbin gave 2.75 million for the theatre at ND, 4.3% of the 64,000,000 cost. One more gorgeous building on a gorgeous campus!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Alright well the ND weekend started tonight (work hard play hard right?) so I'm not posting until now. John seems to know his stuff so I'll mooch off of him

    1)The Purpose of the homily is to explain the readings and make them relevant for the present day. This is the task of the priest. The secondary purpose though is for me to check scores of sporting events, sleep, or for the brotherhood to copy whatever Big Dave does until mom yells at us.

    2)Total Cost $64 million - Regis gift $2.75 million
    Percentage of total cost was: 4.29%

    If only I could call Regis at the call center instead of the stiffs that went to the Dave McKeon school of stinginess.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mom I forgot to mention how young, tan, and thin you looked over spring break. I actually thought you were one of Angela's college friends when we were at her house. You're number one

    feel free to give extra credit

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ok Really what am I doing wrong! Again this is the second post at now 3:30 am. "I'm sorry we can not process your request" what is that??? I hate computers!!! But I am in it for the love of the game so here I go again.

    Louis you can share in the food stuffs and beverages just cause you said something nice about my comment yesterday!!

    Sarah isn't "thou shall experience catholic guilt" one of the ten commandments??? I'm right there with you on the HAil Mary's sister!!! Of course I have already used profanity repeatedly so I might as well just plan on spending the rest of lent on my knees.

    Regis Philbin donated 2.75 million of the 63 millionit took to build the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center.
    Thanks to John that is 4.29 percent.
    We might as well just add on a few "our fathers" I have now had to resort to cheating. I thought you could google everything!

    The word homily is derived from the Greek word "Homilia" which means to have communion or hold intercourse with a person. The Homily is a commentary,without formal introduction,division,or conclusion,on some part of the sacred scripture, the aim being to explain the literal and evolve the spiritual meaning of the sacred text.

    I'm praying this works this time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank God!!! I'm off to bed before the insanity begins!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Actually you're right, Laurie...I did read that"rung on the ladder" idea out of GQ...it was a great article, wasn't it? I thought that Louis was the perfect target for the comment!

    Off to work now...missed bootcamp this morning because I set my alarm for "pm" not "am"! I'm up way too late with this contest!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. ) The Purpose of the homily is to explain the readings and make them relevant to today, which falls directly as a responsibility of the priest.

    2) Regis donated $2.75 million dollars, which is 4.29% of what the building ended up costing.

    I do have to say, ouch for no extra credit points. I figured me commenting after a long, hard day of studying and grotto'ing, and constant jabs from the scarf-wearing jpulera, my efforts would be rewarded at least a little with some baby points... sad panda.
    And the fact that all the girls got points but we didn't! Sexism, I say... in this day and age, unbelievable... what would Rosa Parks think?! She sat in the back of that sub for nothing, unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  25. And Mrs. McKeon, that comment about loving me as a son was adorbs (like the abreevs?) I'm hoping it's one of the "a lot" sons though... and by the way, huge pun indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So I didn't know I helped out yesterday.!

    ReplyDelete
  27. But I am gonna do my best to do it again today

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was thinking while out on my mindless errands today

    ReplyDelete
  29. We should just all share the prizes

    ReplyDelete
  30. I say, we all go to jcrew and purchase a pair of socks. Head on back to....

    ReplyDelete
  31. Laurie and Daves and enjoy the Long islands. Since I am such a light weight....

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'll be only drinking maybe 1/2 a glass. That leaves 99.9% for the rest of you...

    ReplyDelete
  33. We make out a schedule for the bracelet. Of course,

    ReplyDelete
  34. If laurie brings back the kilted scot I am not sharing ladies!! I am assuming all the men

    ReplyDelete
  35. in this competition are of the heterosexual ilk. But if not...

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm not sharing with you either....

    ReplyDelete
  37. And by the way, I really do love you chuck!!!(I'm just trying to rack up extras credit with humor and lots of posts!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Well laurie thats my limit for the day. I need to get ready for the 5th grade girls basketball team invasion at 7pm.
    too bad your not here JaMarcus you could join in the fun! Lots of food,games and an abundance of silly string. Laurie send Posey in some older clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  39. And JaMarcus I most likely won't be sitting by the computer tonight! So much for GAME ON. Truth be told I lost my competitive edge around age 30. I just like messing with you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Not a bad strategy, posting many, many comments....I just want to say to Sara, huge apologies for not immediately recognizing your wisdom, and also, please, please continue to swear and curse on this blog. I love it just like a past smoker loves sitting next to a smoker, or a food addict likes watching someone else eat a big cake. I am getting my profanity fix through you...keep it up, there may days where creative use of the $%&&! could earn some serious extra credit...Missed you at bootcamp Judy.

    You guys think your tired, I'm freaking exhausted. I just fell asleep with a pile of fresh, warm laundry that I was trying to fold...yikes

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hey Laurie - Here is a tech suggestion from a fellow blogger. You should activate your mobile view settings for this blog.

    To do this, go to your settings, click on the Email & Mobile tab then under Mobile Template (beta)
    Show mobile template
    Click Yes, On mobile devices, show the mobile version of my template.

    This way we can easily veiw, read, apprehend, bury oneself in, comprehend, construe, decipher, dip into, discover, flip through, gather, glance, go over, go through, interpret, know, leaf through, learn, make out, perceive, peruse, pore over, refer to, scan, scratch the surface, see, skim, study, translate, unravel, view your every word more easily when we are on the go. Just a thought and a cheap attempt at bonus points for helping to improve a process.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Did you know that Regis has spent more time on television than anyone else in the world (well maybe Charlie Sheen has him beat there)? Now that's WINNING!

    1. What John said....... Funny note - when Fr. Howard was Pastor at St. Mary's every week his homily seemed to be based on what had happened in our house that past week. John & I used to look at each other at mass & say "how did he know about that"? I think he had secretly hidden a video camera in our house to give him fodder for his homily OR we really listened & reflected on what he said - obviously pre-Andrew days :)

    2. Again, what John said.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Forgot - a big shout out to you McKeon (Paula) Butler fans, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Just found out that Regis's puny gift of 4% of the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center was chump change... compared to the 96% that was donated by our own Linda and Bruno DeBartolo!
    "Gordie's Prairie Pub been beddy beddy good to me."

    ReplyDelete
  45. Louis, you are going to have to put your big boy undies on and deal with the fact that it was LADIES NIGHT yesterday. Maybe Laurie will have WHINERS NIGHT so you can rack up some extra points!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Okay... once again under the gun. So, the homily is not the time to sleep or according to my two sons, the time to use the restroom? 8 years of Catholic elementary school and then more in Catholic college and I am just learning this now?
    1) The purpose of the homily is to take the 3 readings of Scripture and draw together the theme and relate them to the world today. This is usually the responsibility of the priest.

    2) Total cost = $64 million Regis's donation $2.75 million 4.29% of the total.

    Thanks to everyone for the help on that...

    ReplyDelete
  47. Kim, I love the idea of the rotation, but unfortunately I don't think I could share the Long Islands - I need the full vat right now.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Laurie, thanks for the well wishes. Can't wait until you all see it. If you don't like it, don't tell me!! Seriously, with your interior decorating skills, I would love your input. By the way any twenty-something mom (isn't that your age - I am older then you right? :>), who can still wear the same size jeans as her daughter is a winner in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  49. By the way, I will keep you posted as to if Jason springs for the Burberry! If I don't pull off the move you might need to ask Dave if he is hiring - might be in need of a new job!

    ReplyDelete