Friday, November 12, 2010

We are having a Fit Club Bonanza!! This blog is going crazy--posts, comments, tips, throw downs, and weight loss galore...I am living the blogger's dream and have all of you to thank for the over 5500 hits and 78 followers. Thank you, thank you very much. Now get back out there and comment. (interesting turn of events: once the blog went all Burberry Fit Club, we lost every international page viewer except Maggie Nickels and her Gorditas in Mexico...I guess those Slovenians and South Koreans really aren't all that interested in fat ass Americans losing weight for luxury accessories while they are forced to build lead bunkers to avoid the nuclear and biochemical fall out from their trigger happy border neighbors)

For those of you who haven't been reading the comments, (you've got to read the comments, as Casey Ferraro pointed out: "They're better than the posts!") but still want to keep score at home, here is the latest in the Burberry Fit Club Challenge: Louis is down five pounds and seems laser focused on victory, Judy Pulera is pounding the weights and the blog, thus tallying lost pounds and many diet tips, Angela worked the angles and enjoyed a huge Veteran's Day advantage, and Nicole Caruso scored big with the Twinkie diet tip (Really??Twinkies and hohos??). My neice Maggie has made some serious noise with her snappy comments and descriptive language (Deaf Auntie Rose and the whole Firecracker thing??--enjoy the beach). And obviously, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree as my sister Wendy (once she figured out the comment box) has interjected her fair share of witty reparte. Jean Fredricksen, Tina Lampe,  and Kristi Ambro have all weighed in, along with Casey and her sister Jeannie. Mr. and Mrs. Pond  are holding their own, while Kristina frontloaded her diet comments because she is cruising,...And the whole youth movement of Emily, Frank, Mike Johnson and Kevin will be sorely tested tomorrow with tortellini soup, Chipotle, cupcakes and Long Islands--good luck, kiddies, see you at the Tail gate... Katie Caspar alluded to the "List" that will magically whittle away my 10 pounds of chunk (Show me the List, Katie) and Stacy Spracklin and Tina Burke joined the throw down. Barb Clark and the Stephanies all stated their intent, but have yet to spar with the others and Amy Davidson is still AWOL. I think she fainted trying to follow the Jane McTernan diet...

So far, this whole Challenge has been a total blast for me. I'm not sure if anyone other than Louis and Judy are actually losing weight (myself included) but that's on you....For me, laughing my ass off at your comments is good enough. If you recall, from post one, I declared my intent to use this blog as a tool for my own amusement and let me tell you, I have not been disappointed. The comments are a riot, the intensity, the call outs, and the throw downs are making my day... and I'm not going to  lie to you, seeing that ticker heading toward the sky brings tears of joy to my eyes. And while no one in this competition actually needs to lose weight (or needs a Burberry scarf for that matter), I applaud you all for embracing the challenge and getting me one step closer to a book deal.   (OK--I just have to interject here: I just saw a commercial for a show called "Bridal plasty"--Holy Mother of God, what sort of world are we living in???) I am very excited to see how this Challenge unfolds...many more days, many more plot twists...It is going to be one major league, awesomely, awesome competition...better than March Madness and way better than the World Series...stay tuned. These Fit Club Contenders aren't going any where any time soon...

For those of you who are still struggling to post a comment, I feel for you. (And for Sara Pond, who has opened her tutorial clinic for the blog impaired,) here is my solution: If you cannot yet figure out how to post a comment, just email your clever, smarty, inspiring, bitchy whatever comment to me and I will cut and paste it into the comment section and of course, give you the credit for your special nugget of wisdom. This is what I did for Wendy, and lo and behold, she mastered the comment...I will do this for you, because I do not want anyone to miss out on this once in a lifetime chance to claim total victory in the Burberry Fit Club Challenge. Do not be discouraged, we can work this out...All comers, all welcome..all in for Fitness...Remember, I need to hear from you...It's the comments that count and the comments that will earn you that little piece of Burberry goodness...

For those of you who don't really give a shit about the whole weight loss thing, (obviously our international crowd) I promise that the next post will appeal to all...would post some more, but have to get up in five hours to watch Utah beat the holy crap out of Notre Dame. However, small price to pay for a GREAT tailgate bash....

Today's Top Ten:
  1. Patagonia's "down sweater"--it's really a light weight winter coat but feels like you are wearing a cloud
  2. Thor-lo running socks
  3. Those little tiny Japanese erasers that look like food, animals and tools, but come apart into even smaller pieces--they probably  have a name but I don't know it
  4. Wooden jigsaw puzzles (see Wentworth puzzles..they make great gifts...)
  5. Gilt.com---this is a web site with an eclectic assortment of items that are on sale for a few days, everything from Stryvictin to baby toys to cool trips...check it out
  6. Chris McKeon---he has brought a very unique demographic into the Fit Club and for that I say...number 6
  7. Watermelon licorice--this is an amazing food product--****warning****this treat can and will derail your Fit Club diet...
  8. This month's Vanity Fair Magazine
  9. Hunter boots--the short ones
  10. Nora Nickels--way to keep the Swift news coming...and congrats on the Scuba certification
Comments, comments, comments...

24 comments:

  1. I should just change my name right now to FAT F*^K. Maybe Burberry wouldn't look good on a man like myself. So I do believe I need to change my thought process. Instead of thinking about exercising, The trick is to actually get off my FAT F*^K'N ass and do something. I just finished what was left of the Fruit Loops sans the milk cause there wasn't enough to waste the milk. So, here it is.....I WILL exercise in the morning!
    Diet Tip: Resistant Starch.....Or dietary Fiber....Keeps you full for longer periods of time= less eating (grazing).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solid top 10, especially with #'s 5 and 6.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stats: Down 2
    Tip: Eat as many fruits and vegetables as you can possibly muster. That shit takes your body FOREVER to break down - think this has a lot to do with Katie's "list").
    ~ Eat healthy, drinks lots of water, exercise...blah, blah, blah! Who has the diet tip of that "magic pill"???? That's what I want! A magic frickin' pill!
    Last minute Tip #2 of the day: Make your "weigh in" day sometime over the weekend. You'll be less likely to blow off the diet for 2 days if you know you have to weigh in. Enjoy your fattening tailgate fellow followers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, down a pound... I am certain I am not scaring anyone out of their "scarves" yet, but, remember, marathon, not a sprint. Also, for the over 40 crowd like myself, the college crowd definitely has an unfair advantage, so tempt them into pounds packed on at that tailgate, Laurie! When I was that age, I used to be able to drop 5-10 pounds like nothing, then middle age sets in and here we are - although 40 is the new 20 so let's kick some butt over 40 crowd! My diet/exercise tip of the day is stomach crunches while driving. One day you will read about me in the paper when my stomach muscle cramps and I have driven into a telephone pole, but when you spend as much time carting your kids around to practices and games as I do, it does help the exercise routine. Tip # 2 for the day goes along with the more fiber comment. Goal is 30 grams of fiber a day. Morning breakfast of frosted mini wheats or oatmeal squares (cinnamon are my personal favorite) and you start the day off right with at least 5 grams of fiber, with or without milk. If you get even close to the 30 grams, you will spend so much time in the bathroom being "regular" that you won't have time to be tempted into eating anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I must say that this fast twitcher has not done so well on the "list" this week... unless I add Andrea’s cheese burger and chocolate malt (very tasty and worth every calorie!) to my new list. The list can be amended whenever I see fit.. The beauty of the list. I need to emphasis that my list is not everyone's list... you need to choose foods that you like or it will not work for you. The main idea is to never veer from the list... never... once veered it is a straight shot to Andreas chocolate malts! That being said, I of course, would be more than happy to share my list to you, Laurie... Anything to help me in the rankings. My tip for the day...whole grain English muffin pizzas, toast them, load them with veggies, a little pizza sauce , light on the cheese and cook at 350 for 15 – 20… Fantastic! Truly! Just like Luigi’s... Week one 0 pounds lost, but no worries, I will soon be reaping the benefits of the fast twitch (as opposed to the current no twitch), getting back on the list and sporting a Burberry Scarf by Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara, I know the name of that "frickin" magic diet pill you are looking for...it's called "Ex-Lax.

    Laurie, #8 on your top ten list is one of the best magazines ever! Especially this month with Cher on the cover. If she isn't an inspiration to those of us in the over 55 club than nothing will inspire us.

    Diet tip: Be Laurie's partner at bootcamp. She will leave you in the dust! It's true!!! She never runs out of energy...she definitely raises the bar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The true diet will officially start in about 2 days, when I finish the clearance bag of Brachs candy corn, tis the season ...I'm addicted! The cold is here I feel it. My inners are shivering.. that HAS to be a calorie burner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOPS...I posted from the wrong computer...That wasn't Max, but mom...Casey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was looking for the Burberry Fit Club section during the ND game...must have missed you all. Hope you all stayed on course for the challenge..because this BFC Challenge is just starting to explode!! And as the challenge goes...there's only room for one scarf winner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say, weekends definitely make staying on track and not succumbing to the evil wonders of those McKeon Tailgate cupcakes and Long Islands a much, much more arduous ordeal. Thankfully, my consistent stubbornness, and the camaraderie of the other Sted's bros, kept me somewhat stable; so continue to compete in fear, because this guy's out for blood.

    Also, can we just reiterate how epic this game was; completely and utterly out of control. Glad you all didn't have to get up early and trek over to Notre Dame for what we thought was going to be an imminent beating. Go Irish, baby.

    Tip #7: Drink water before going to bed. I'd like to think we're all old enough to avoid any nighttime bladder fails - so drinking a few cups of water before bed will rehydrate your body during the night and allow you to wake up more energized, and ready to dispatch of any toxins, first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. To my fellow competitors....My favorite Arnold Schwarzenegger the bodybuilder(not the actor/politician) quote: "My instinct was to eliminate my competition, destroy my enemy and move on without hesitation at all." I am living by these words during the Burberry Fit Club Challenge.

    Diet tip: Drink a protein shake before going to bed...the protein will feed your muscles during the night.. muscles need protein at night not water!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not to discredit a fellow competitor's tip, but I'm not gonna not disagree with the suggestion to drink a protein shake before going to bed...

    Tip #8: The best time to consume a protein shake (or any other supplemental meals) is either in the morning upon waking up, or right after a rigorous workout. Your body has basically been in fasting mode all night while asleep, so by drinking the shake right in the morning you avoid letting your body get into the stage where it starts breaking down muscles for food (I believe it's called its catabolic stage?). Furthermore, after a workout your body ends up benefiting from those nutrients even more because your muscles are at their most absorbent stage, utilizing nutrients, carbs, etc more efficiently at this point.

    Sure you can have a protein shake, Cliff Bar, or vitamins before bed; but that is not ideal, as a lot of the benefits of said supplement wouldn't be used (and you'd just end up with a lot of wasted energy, and excess calories), which is kind of the opposite of what is good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My fellow competitor...I am not talking about the amount of protein consumed during the day or after a workout(because I do agree with what you said). I was commenting on your tip #7 about what to consume before going to bed. I know a few pro bodybuilders that would wake up during the night to consume protein shakes so their muscles wouldn't go 8hrs. or more without protein. This middle of the night protein would assure that their muscles would remain in an anabolic state rather than a catabloic state. If pro bodybuilders practice this routine there must be some validity to consume protein at bedtime in addition to their normal daytime protein consumption.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jpulera, I'm glad to hear that you agree with my overall argument because (as I know, and you just stated) protein consumption should be encouraged at the times I mentioned, as opposed to right before bed.

    Again though, even if it is important for muscles to maintain and obtain a certain level of protein even when we're asleep, more often than not the benefit of drinking that shake won't be as great as the useless calories we;ll end up getting out of it as well. The key words are "pro bodybuilders". They have a completely exaggerated workout regime and require so many more calories, minerals, etc. than we do. So although maybe for them that shake will maintain their muscles during sleep (by keeping them anabolic like you said), for most of us it'll just be an overabundance of supplements that our body's don't need and will just turn into extra, unused calories.

    I guess it's just one of those "even too much of a good thing can be bad", bad being unused calories that later just turn into fat; supplement with caution.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Louis...Calories consumed at bedtime or in the evening only become "excess" calories if you over ate during the daytime. If you over exceed your calorie limit no matter what you ate..it will turn into "body fat". To become "fit" your body needs the right nutrition and training to become lean and shredded so large amounts of protein must be a part of ones diet within caloric limit. This is called the Burberry "Fit" Challenge. Being fit and being skinny are two different things. If a person just loses weight..they become a "skinny fat" person. If one loses weight and becomes "fit" they become a whole different person. So I guess a person has to decide if they want to just count any type of calories and become "thin" or if they want to be "fit" and thin and consume the the right nutritional calories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jpulera, again, I understand what you are referring too because protein is essential in becoming "fit" and toning up and whatnot. Things like calorie restriction and aerobic exercise like cardio are equally as important though, not to just lose weight (because anyone can lose water weight), but to become this type of "fit" you've mentioned.

    There's obviously a difference in the calories that come from a nutritional, protein shake (or any healthy food for that matter) and a Snickers bar loaded with trans fats and sugar. It is more of a personal choice whether you want to reach a certain caloric number, but since losing weight and toning up does require calorie restriction (whether great or small), I'd rather consume those during the day, when my body needs them, than right before bed to meet a certain quota.

    To each his or her own though; but just from my previous workout regimes to cut weight for sports/half marathons, I would disagree with your initial tip, as I would never load up last minute (again though, some pro bodybuilders do, so alas). That is all.

    How's that for a showdown, Mrs. McKeon hahaha?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fit...skinny...Fit...skinny - holy mother of God - at this point, I'll take either. We "lowly" fat people take whatever we can get!! Takeaway: set alarm for 3 am to eat. Check.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Judy and Louis, I admire your knowledge and willingness to add to the collective wisdom regarding protein vs. weight loss vs. toning. However,for those of not getting a PhD in fitness, (me) I just have to say one thing...Brian Pond, meet Mrs. Fat F*ck!! I have lost ZERO pounds since this competition began despite laying off the large candy bars. Even at this weekends' superb tailgate, I held back, taking ONE single bite of a cupcake and throwing the rest out...(this is my latest diet tip, take one bite of something and throw the rest out) Ask Emily, she saw me. I also imbibed NO alcohol, and very little food. Not only am I still fat, but I am also hungry. WTF??? Katie, turn over the list...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Louis Louis Louis...While I am enjoying the banter about protein and calorie intake ...I still respectfully disagree with you on "loading up at the end of the day"...one can "load up" anytime of the day and the end result will be excess calories within 24hrs.

    With that being said..The scarf is mine, dude!!!

    And Sara(I'm assuming that you are much younger than me and us woman have to stick together and look out for each other)...as some womanly advice as you age...there is a huge difference between being "fit" and being "skinny". If one's goal is to simply lose weight, you will look exactly the same...just a smaller version. If one's goal is to become "fit"...than you need to build your muscles,speed up your metabolism and eat a clean nutritional diet. Besides being "skinny" your body will be transformed and fit. Just looking out for my female competitors! Hey, I'm on your side!

    And Laurie...your diet tip is so right on.. take one bite and throw it away. I actully did that this weekend,too with a Dove chocolate cupcake. I just needed that small fix! I also checked out #5 on the top ten list(Gilt.com) and I've decided to stick with BigLots. com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jpulera, I agree, it's probably better to just agree to respectfully disagree, that's fine.

    Besides, I'd rather have the actual weight loss do the talking... :)

    And those cupcakes were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Louis, enjoy the rest of the BFC Challenge and good luck. Don't forget to drink enough water...especially at night! :) I'm sure we will exchange more jargon along the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Judy Pulera made me do it...join the club!!! Hi
    Mohter's helper. Miss the work out...not the time. No wisdom from this fiddy (50) yr old. The best I can offer is to forget what you are looking for upstairs...then go back down...then go back up. Now do that 50 million times and you are set. LOL Really, calories and DON"T 4get your protein., And whatever you do , DON"T STARVE yourself.

    ReplyDelete