Wednesday, January 26, 2011

GRAB A BEVERAGE, IT'S A LONG ONE....


Way to go, Tricia, upping the ante with your celebrity photo...  Khloe Khardashian...pfft, just a flash in the pan compared to a true American icon like the irascible Ruth Buzzi. And while many of you know Ms. Buzzi as the weekly laugh riot on Laugh-In, who can ever forgot her stellar performance in the cinema classic "The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again"? For those of you who do not have the bionic vision necessary to see this photo on the comment portion of the blog, here is Tricia's celebrity photo op moment:


Tricia, how cute were you when you were little? If you don't mind, could you please fill us all in on your special moment with Ms. Buzzi.? I am assuming this was taken during her hey day and pinnacle of fame.  As an obvious Ruth Buzzi aficionado, I am sure that Tricia knows that Yes, indeed, our Ms. Buzzi and her comedy genius live on. I like to think that she and her good friend Charles Nelson Reilly (God rest his soul) would get a small chuckle if they had the good fortune to stumble upon this blog. Thanks, Tricia, for sharing this true brush with greatness. Please, in the spirit of Tricia and the venerable Ruth Buzzi, let's keep those celeb photos coming.

Katey Caspar came through with a VERY timely photo, (see above) a picture of her parents and the Super Bowl Bound Donald Driver. Although this photo does not actually contain KATEY, (Katey, Katey, Katey, always bucking the directions, just like in Boot Camp) it is still very cool. For those of you who do not know, Katey's mom and dad do some commercial work in their spare time and Katey's mom shot a commercial with Donald Driver this fall. She was paid to slap him on the fanny...nice work if you can get it. I am surprised that Brian Pond does not have the male version of this job.... As you can see, both of Katey's parents are very photogenic.  (and as you can also see, I have TOTALLY mastered the "insert photo" part of the blog---Laurie McKeon 2.0). Please help me keep my technology skills current by sending in your celebrity photos (or your mom's celebrity photos) today. 

Okay, I've got to tell you, I have some news and I am super psyched about it. I got accepted to Grad School yesterday. Seriously, I got into Grad School yesterday.  How cool is that? I will be entering the Executive Masters of Non Profit Administration Program at the University of Notre Dame this summer. I mean it when I say, this is something I've always wanted to do and like the uber nerd that I really am, I can't wait to start. It's an Executive Program so most of it is done on line, but I do have to spend the next two summers on the Notre Dame campus (tough duty). I am not quite sure what I am going to do with my kids this summer while I am in South Bend for a month, but I'm pretty sure we will figure it out.  Annie may be spending the summer in Boston doing an internship, and I am VERY leery of leaving Chris "college freshman shidiot of the year" McKeon in charge of the brotherhood and their daily antics, let alone in charge of his little sister.  Good Lord, you just know that somehow under his watchful eye, all the downstairs furniture would be sold on ebay and the family room would be converted into a ping pong/basketball court/frat house/pool hall. And to be honest, I fear that their father would not ever notice.

Speaking of their father, Dave McKeon has some reservations about this whole back to school plan.  I know this will come as a surprise to all, but Dave is somewhat skeptical of my academic endeavor. Basically, he is trying to figure out just how much this is going to cost him, and if there is any truth to my claims that this degree will eventually lead to some legitimate, gainful, PAID employment. (He has a tendency to make many references to my law degree and its ability to generate actual cash in the marketplace and my unwillingness to make that happen) He is also blanching just a tad at the thought of paying FOUR Notre Dame tuitions next year....However, when I pointed out to him that he is now officially sleeping with a co-ed, the news seemed to be a little more palatable. As in everything, it all depends on your perspective...

Now that I am officially admitted to Grad School, I can share with you my experience in taking the GRE. (I was afraid to post my GRE story at the time because I'm pretty sure if the admissions  people at ND read it, they would shred my application upon receipt) Have any of you taken the GRE lately? or any standardized test for that matter? Seriously, I have a whole new respect for my kids and their standardized test taking abilities. (but don't tell them that) Let's get a perspective here, a historical perspective: The last standardized test I took was the Bar Exam in 1987, prior to that, I took the LSAT in 1984...that was literally DECADES ago--pre i pod, i pad, i tunes, or i anything. Hell, most of today's NBA players weren't even born.

So, when I decided to apply for Grad School (let's just see how many times I can use "grad school" in this post...) I had to sign up to take the GRE. Well guess what? Unless you live in Guam or Puerto Rico, you cannot take a paper version of the GRE. You must take it on line...And you  must take it at a "certified testing center" OK, whatever that is. So, I signed up back in the Fall to take the GRE at some test center in Deerfield for some date in December.  I pretty much forget about it until the weekend before the exam when I finally cracked the GRE prepbook that I bought a back in October. I began with the verbal section because, frankly, it's the easiest. I read all the time and am not afraid of big words. I moved nicely through the analogies, the reading comprehension, the grammar and best word choices and am feeling pretty good. I also read about the writing portion of the exam. No big deal. I can write an on line essay with one hand tied behind my back...do it all the time.

Then, with less than 24 hours before exam time, I glance at the Math. Interesting. Remember, I have not taken an actual math class since Calc 1 at Notre Dame in the Spring of 1981. Yes, that would be THIRTY  YEARS AGO.  And because I am the mom who refuses to help her kids with their homework, I do not even get the benefit of a little refresher course on the backs of my kids. I took a look at some of the math problems and I am not going to lie...they looked kind of hard. Frankly, I do not remember the formula for figuring out the area of a circle, square, rectangle or any combination of the above. I tried to cram those geometric formulas into my middle aged brain, but with all the other crap in there, like the names of all the brothers in the Jackson Five, the calorie count of four rice krispie treats, the words to the theme song for the Jeffersons, there really was no room for the difference between mean, median and average, let alone the function of negative exponents. Basically, I was hoping to get super lucky with a whole bunch of graphing questions. 

Test day dawns and I have to check into the Official Test Center by 8:00 am. Fearing rush hour traffic, I leave the house at 6:30. (Little aside: Testing day for me is sweat pants day at the boys' school, (aside to an aside--I hate fun dress days, If I wanted my kids to wear jeans, sweats, jerseys, costumes to school, I would have sent them to public school)  Because I am not home to supervise the morning, Jack apparently walked out of the house in a one piece fire engine red union suit--yeah, just get the visual on that. Shocker, but while his father did not notice this sartorial display, school certainly did and made him change his clothes. Apparently a one piece red union suit does not constitute sweat pants. According to Jack, who knew?)... 

I reach the "test center" which really is just a big office building, and go up to this suite of rooms. This is some CIA sort of shit. The security is major. They make you sign in, show two ids, empty your pockets, sign a confidentiality statement, lock up your belongings, leave all drinks, calculators, scratch paper, lip balm (I asked) in the outer room. There are many, many "test center" rules. If you screw up, they will kick your GRE cheating ass out. Really, how many of the dorks sitting in the "test center" lobby are packing a mini camera to steal test questions? Even more intriguing is just how many people are sitting in the test center lobby ready to take these standardized tests on a Tuesday morning...again, who knew? Less intriguing is the fact that I am the oldest test taker in the vicinity. Great. I hope I get some sort of an age handicap. All these youngsters seem to have taken this test before. They all know the drill and immediately jump in with both feet.

They assign me a computer in the  inner sanctum, and remind me, I cannot leave that area until the computer prompt says it is break time. I must put my id on the top of the little shelf in my carrel along with the key to my locker. Then I have to  go through the whole computer training seminar on how to move a mouse and  click on the right answer. Because I have never taken a test on line, I sit through the whole mother loving thing. The only thing I learn during the seminar is that there is no way to make the test go backwards. You must answer and move on. Thus totally eliminating the tried and true, very effective test strategy of answering all the easy ones and going back for the hard ones. Great...Another very interesting part of the GRE is that the better you do the harder it gets...The computer actually adjusts as you go, altering the questions based on your previous responses....Great, again

I begin with the writing. The young hipsters in the crowd have been typing like fiends for hours. None of them bothered to sit through the "training" seminar. Whatever. I finish my two essays and unlike all the rest of the testers, I opt to take the computer allowed 10 minute break. I need blistex and a hit of Diet Dr. Pepper. When my ten minutes are up, I once again reveal that my pockets hold no contraband and I return to my computer. It's go time. The Math section pops up on the screen. They start me off easy to gauge my skills. I must answer a few right and the next thing I know, these incredibly complicated multi level fractions that include exponents, variables and absolute values are flashing on the screen. I am in so far over my head that I seriously want to start to cry...but I can't because they didn't let me bring in any Kleenex. I swear, the hipster are just about done and I am still trying to figure out if a negative exponent trumps an unsolvable three variable equation.

The clock is ticking away and I am not getting any smarter. Many sided geometric figures involving arcs, lines, triangle and angles float on the screen, I have to guess at these ones too...Dammit why can't they ask me to name Darren Steven's boss?I know that one. (Larry Tate)  Better yet, how Paris Hilton is related to Prudence from Nanny and the Professor (Paris is the niece of Kim Richards, previously of Nanny and the Professor and Escape to Witch Mountain fame, now on Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Similarly, Haley Mills is the niece of Juliet Mills who played Nanny on the show) I am obviously taking the wrong test.  Problems involving percentages creep up indicating that I have answered all the hard questions wrong. I may not know these answers, but I sure as hell know that the machine is dumbing down the questions for me...Now, I just begin to flat out panic. I am guessing away, praying for divine inspiration, just hoping to recognize something that may even remotely resemble a right answer. Finally I resort to just making sure I answer every questions, and I can't even do that, because time runs out and my screen goes black with two questions left unanswered. Shiiittt.  I  am done with Math...but probably not forever, because I am pretty darn sure I will be reporting to this test center some time in the near future to take this bad boy again. I am literally covered in flop sweat and I am not allowed to take a break. Great..

The verbal section follows and it's just fine. Actually, I realize I must be holding my own because the last reading comprehension passage is seriously a five page text lifted from some Phd level scientific journal. OK, let's hope I ace this section because I will seriously need to balance out my remedial math score....My heart is still racing, every hipster is gone, and I am the only dumbass who stays to complete the "experimental section" of the GRE even though the computer says you don't have to. I swear to you I was honestly hoping that the computer would give me some extra GRE credit for being a kind, helpful, eager beaver  experimental test taking guinea pig. I am now reduced to sucking up to the GRE test machine in the hopes of improving my score.

 Yet another interesting aspect of the GRE is that at the end of the exam, while you are still sitting right there, in the inner sanctum, at your little assigned carrel, the computer will automatically score your test and give you your GRE results. Sounds like a pretty nice option. How handy to know your score. However, this demon test from hell also gives you the tantalizing option of not getting your test graded at all (no harm no foul) and just bailing out on the whole thing. Once the test is scored, it is official and will automatically be reported to your school of choice.  THREE TIMES they show me the prompt about bailing out, THREE TIMES. I start to panic, certain that my new BFF the GRE computer is trying to  tell me something---THREE TIMES. The  flop sweat is back with a vengeance. Score or bail, score or bail?  Finally, I decide, screw it, I'm not getting any younger and I'm certainly not getting any smarter. Just score the gd thing and let me move on with my math impaired life...I brace myself and the computer flashes my score...I'm not quite sure what it means, but it seems to be ok. And the good news is, I am never taking this fudging test again...ever. However, I cannot write my score down because I was not allowed to bring any papers into or out of the inner sanctum...great. We all know that I will never remember this score because every crevice of my brain is filled with TV trivia from my childhood.

Man, my stomach hurts just remembering that whole test thing. I quickly rallied, left the test center, put it all behind me and went on to more important things like meeting my sister Wendy to help her pick out flooring for her summer house. Nice that I've kept my priority straight.

Told you this was a long one....

Today's Top Ten:
  1. The Kindle. It is JUST amazing. I am an addict. It may be a permanent top ten.
  2. Eddie Martinis--my favorite Milwaukee restaurant
  3. The long cabled cashmere sweater currently on sale right now on Pure Cashmere.  Yes, I bought it.
  4. The Hunter tote on sale at gilt.com
  5. Ben Hansborough--played some great basketball for ND this week. Take that big brother, Tyler
  6. Grad School--just getting it in one last time.
  7. White, glossy subway tiles--a very cool and clean look for Wendy's summer house showers
  8. Neosporin overnight lip balm--a must during these cold days
  9. Serena and Lilly- a beautiful catalogue of baby furniture, linens and paint samples. They have the best fabrics and rugs around,
  10. Ok, even though I am a Bears Fan....Aaron Rodgers...He is a great quarterback, really lead his team on Sunday and provides the necessary contrast to reveal Jay Cutler as the total whining p*$$y that he really is...
Okay, let's get those celebrity photos coming in. New post soon. I swear, it's already started.


11 comments:

  1. Hey...I'm the first one this time....Loved the post, Laurie, and I didn't even need a beverage! Congrats on your ND acceptance...you go girl! You pack more into your days than anyone I know! I'll see you Friday morning at bootcamp...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, okay... I am about 3 blog posts behind. Sorry, not picking out flooring for a lake home, but a new clinic instead. That has been monopolizing most of my time. If I ever do build my own home, this project will be good practice for me. The challenge set me behind with life in general, ha ha, and now I am taking January to catch up. Sort of on par with what you said, Laurie, but not nearly as exciting.

    First of all, Laurie McKeon and no profanity - say it isn't so. I do like the occasion slip up from you though, especially in a committee meeting. If it helps you down the road, then great, but it is a part of you and none of us respect you any less. Good luck with the resolution, though.

    As for the celebrity photos, I am jealous of Brian Pond's job - mine is not nearly as exciting nor is my life. I have had celebrities visit me at my job, but with HIPPA and all, alas, I cannot disclose a darn thing. I am thinking that I need to start taking some photos with you, Laurie, so that when you do get the book deal or the reality TV show for that matter, I can post it as my touch with greatness! I will have to search some of my college photo albums, though, because I do believe I have a young college photo of our esteemed Wisconsin governor, because he dated my college roommate for a bit. Not much of a celebrity, but it is a start.

    The airport story/scene was a riot. You make me laugh and I love it. Reminds me about the Thanksgiving nightmare Sarge and I had with the kids where he slammed his fist on the ticket counter after we had been in O'Hare for 16 hours with a 3 year old and an 18 mo old, demanding them to get us on a plane to Florida to see grandma and grandpa. We had all the O'Hare security guards rushing in on that one - ahhh great memories.

    Congrats on taking the GRE and getting into grad school! You are an amazing woman and my idol. I doubt that I could pass it now. The last standardized test I took was the SAT and that was even more years ago. Good for you and I look forward to seeing you get your dream job - you deserve it and you deserve to get paid for all of the non-profit work that you do.

    Anyway, I think I am caught up for now... will try to stay more in touch. Missed reading everyone's comments. By the way, when do we get to see the pic of Judy in the scarf and Angela's welcome home pics? Also, loving the "Feed" bag and it is garnering much attention to the program. Everyone asks me about it, so the program is getting some great press and I am using it every day - so "Thank you" and Dave, of course, for your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Mrs. McKeon!

    If I don't get into any of the summer abroad programs I applied to this summer (which, unfortunately, is very plausible do my choice of certain extracurricular activities that, also unfortunately, don't include all-nighters at the library or helping the SMC Chicks cross the street...), I will also be back in the Bend this summer taking summer classes!

    I think this means we can possibly be study/party buddies... so excited. We can even get young Chris to mob on down and join in the party... if everything goes according to plan and your house and children remain in one piece.

    Also, thanks again for the FEED shirt... it's rather legit. And, of course, thanks a bunch for having me over a couple of weeks back. You all are too kind, sorry I had to bail so early though... and I'm sorry that jpulera didn't get a chance to lose to me in some sort of physical activity as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the GRE. You must have done well enough...

    And yes, not only is Aaron Rodgers an amazing quarterback. He's a cutie. And he's not flashing his junk in text messages. Or whining in a playoff game about being hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louis...really...lose to you? Don't get me started. Don't turn around you're lack of push-up ability and pass it off as if I would be the one who would lose! Don't get me going, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course, jpulera. Whatever helps you sleep at night, we'll pretend...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I swear I am going to get Louis and Judy together for a steel cage match, boot camp style show down. Louis, I know you are young, but seriously, Judy is tough...maybe I can find some way to turn it into a charity event...
    UpsideDown Kate, I like you. Any comment that mentions both whining and "flashing junk" is a-ok with me. Tina Lampe, with comments that long, you'd best start your own blog...look for a post later today. Let the snow begin...bring it on, we are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms. McKeon, I now feel really dumb and mad. Dumb that if I would sit at that computer terminal the computer would turn on and laugh and kindly ask me to leave so I don't go there. I'm mad because I did not know the tv trivia you mention and I am jealous. I thought I was the only one who filled my melon with non important information that will get you nowhere. I'm more up on the Brady Bunch trivia and Partridge Family. Since I won't be trying to match wits with you on the GRE I now need to watch more tv to brush up on the classic shows. My tv just beeped to let me know that the Starsky and Hutch episode is beginning followed by Sanford and Son...gotta go....Congrats and good luck. At least there will be an available chair now at the pool deck this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ding Ding...Cougar vs. Frat Boy on a physical strength of wits? I'll put my money on the Cougar.
    Ding Ding...FF Pond vs. Overachiever in a TV trivia smack-down. I would've bet on FF prior to reading this last post, however, now I realize there's another person here in K-Town whose mind is filled with useless knowledge. Hmmm...
    Who's next? Jane vs. Katie in an ultimate reveal of 2011s most slimming "list" of foods? I'm waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frat Bro > Cougar.
    That's all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I should get some points for having pictures with nd athletes.

    ReplyDelete