Monday, September 5, 2011

HAPPY LABOR DAY!!

Happy, Happy Labor Day, I hope you are all enjoying this special day off from labor, because some one should and it's not me.  I actually have class tonight, which seems so very wrong.But because I am a full red blooded American, I will soldier on and do my duty and post up some Labor Day musings on the blog. No rest for the wicked... You're Welcome. 

The 10 things Messing With my Labor Day Weekend-2011

10. Tailgate Residue--I have not quite put away all the tailgate paraphernalia. ( I'm still waiting for the table cloths to come through the laundry cycle) and it's so depressing having to restock the tailgate bins when the game was such a bust..

9. Underwear Issues:-- Dave McKeon is out of clean underwear--( And why is this my problem???   FYI- It's in the laundry basket in our room, all clean and folded... he's just too lazy to take it out himself and put it away.. True confession: now that we only have three kids at home, I am not nearly as compelled to keep the laundry cycle humming.  Three kids??? pfft... there's no challenge in that.... I can hardly be bothered)... Dave's solution ?--- go buy more...and I am totally down with that, but...

8. Long lines at the Mall--The always lovely Pleasant Prairie outlet mall is over run with Labor Day shoppers.  I mean it, they are backed up to the highway. I heard about this from Mr. McKeon which he discovered on his quest for new underwear---and again, somehow this is my fault??? I guess so.

7. Posey's awful Littlest Pet Shop videos--I love my youngest daughter to distraction, but she sure is no Fellini...Hell, she's not even Michael Moore.  Some one taught her how to make and edit videos on her flip camera.  Now she keeps making me watch these pointless movies she makes starring her Littlest Pet Shop figures. It is even worse than it sounds. It is beyond torture. Ask Nate. He is WAY nicer than me and even he can't stand watching them.  There is absolutely nothing that a little plastic cat wearing glasses has to say that I want to hear...or watch...

6. The Facebook--This social media device is still a mystery to me. I find myself both compelled and repelled by it at the same time.  Could someone please explain the 'chat' part?. And better yet, explain why I want to chat with people on the Facebook when I have a phone...(here is why I do not love, or even like The Facebook: I responded to someone's friend request--so far so good- and called up the Facebook-I saw that Nate was on line--or on that chat part of the Facebook.  Nate was upstairs in the house. I was downstairs. So, I chat with him and say: "Don't you have a paper to write" and he chats back saying; "I am on the toilet right now..." This is true--go see it for yourself on the Facebook.  Honestly, this sort of info should not be shared, chatted or even mentioned...not even to your mother...just never. This is why I do not love the Facebook--way too much sharing...however, the photos are alright. My new FB strategy--just looking at the pictures...BYW, Kyle Clark, your girlfriend is very cute. I'm sure she is very nice, too. NIce going, Give Ron Johnson my best...

5. The Weather--...It's 62 degrees outside today--WTF? today is the last day that the pool is open and it's 62??!!.Even I can't get a tan in that kind of chilliness. I know this because I tried yesterday, and was the only dumbass at the pool. (And go figure, it was 162 degrees on Saturday. I thought I was going to spontaneously combust at our tailgate.)

4. The Lifeguards-- Because I was the only fool at the pool, the lifeguards were super pissed and let their pissiness be known.  Until I showed up, they were allowed to stay inside and though I told them I wasn't going anywhere near the water, (and thus, the likelihood of me drowning was pretty slim), I guess they still have to sit in their chairs if anyone is on the pool deck.. So there they were, wearing sweats, sweat shirts and polar fleece, in their lifeguard chairs, giving me the stink eye. (Posey very smartly high tailed it inside as soon as we got to the club). I braved the cold as long as I could, praying the sun would come back. I  almost asked one of the lifeguards if I could borrow her sweatshirt, until I remember that they all hated me... tough to get a tan under several pool towels ...hope they hire a whole new crew for next summer, because if I get a cramp from swimming after eating, none of this year's guards are going in after me.

3. The Irish---I love Notre Dame with every fiber of my being, but good f'ing God, that football game was just awful--even worse than Posey's videos.   Really??? a fumble on the two yard line in the first possession? Five seriously dropped balls, and the one that hit the guy right in the side of his helmet??? Are you kidding me?  Plus a missed field goal?? A million penalties AND a deluge?? Two rain delays?  Shiiittt. My kids could have dropped all those passes and they are not on scholarship.

2.  Class-..It's just wrong to have to go to school on Labor Day Weekend. I even had class last night on Labor Day Eve.  What 's up with that?? I can see making the children on campus go to school today because they need to be toughened up some and suffer a few indignities, but us grownups? Enough already. I am plenty tough...I just need a break...

1.  Summer is over--The biggest thing messing up my Labor Day weekend is, that once the sun sets today, summer is totally over. Though the calendar says that summer officially ends Sept. 21st, we all know that today is it.  So long, summer.  Hurry Back.
.
Now, because I hate ending on a bad/sad note, I am adding another list:

The 10 things Making my Labor Day Weekend:

10. La Fogata--Mexican Restaraunt in Kenosha that has become our new auxiliary kitchen. Dave took the kids last night while I was "in class" and I took them there for lunch while Dave played golf...es muy bueno--and I am muy lazy...

9. Lake Michigan--it may be chilly, but the Lake has been beautiful all weekend. It's something.

8. Technology success---I hate to jinx myself, but I made through one entire class without screwing up any part of the techno piece. Moreover, I had a skype group meeting AND an on line chat as well. I am Al "the internet" Gore. 

7. Jimmy Johns--they always come through and their sandwich platters were the perfect choice for our tailgate---It was so goddamn hot that any other sort of food would have been too much. And their chips are the best...

6. Sleeping In--just can't beat having a day off to sleep past 5:15 and today was that day.

5. ND undergrads--we had scores of kids coming to the tailgate this weekend and I must admit, they are, in the words of Johnny Jaraczewski  "all good kids, all good kids". It was great to meet Jack's buddies and it is always a pleasure to see the Gentlemen from St.Eds. A special shout out to Molly Madden and Kim Westphal--even melting under that tent, you both still made me laugh.  Molly, where's my photo?

4. Long Island Iced Teas--the official drink of the McKeon tailgates. We finished off 5 gallons well before game time.  While I would like to blame the heat for the mass consumption of this beverage, I think it was just a function of the crowd. Lesson learned- 10 gallons for Michigan State...

3. Annie's Apartment--Annie has a terrific place very close to campus. It is WAY too nice for an undergrad--(don't even ask)--but it came in very handy during the rain delays. I have a feeling this fair weather fan may be utilizing it more than once.

2. Becky and Jerry Miller--our great friends from Mansfield were at the ND game and came to our tailgate. It was so nice to see them and they are the world's best sports.  Even in the Africa heat they never lost their good humor and in honor of Labor Day, I would like to quote Jerry who for some reason  kept reminding me all day "The United States is the best damn country in the world" . He is right. It is. Jerry, I hope your parents were ok...(Becky and Jerry left them in the stadium for like four hours while they attended our tailgate...elderly abuse or just smart thinking???)

1. IT'S JESSICA SCHREINER'S BIRTHDAY!! Word on the street is that Jessica is a true fan of the blog and because I will pull out all the stops for any and all fans, I am giving her this special birthday shout out. Jessica is once again turning twenty nine,  she lives in Eau Claire (wherever the hell that is) and has actually kissed Billy Idol on stage--(Jessica, where was the picture of that when I was begging people to send in their famous photos???) I need to hear the details on that special kiss...Was it the cool young Billy Idol or the middle aged Billy Idol--it does kind of make a difference. Also, our Jessica HATES the Facebook, so you know she's totally cool. Have a very great birthday, Jessica, and keep reading the blog... (is this a full service blog or what??) And remember, your awesome friends Rob and Jean love you very much. 

To all, enjoy these last few hours of summer....I 've got to get to class....shiiiiitttt...

7 comments:

  1. Speaking of Notre Dame football.....I just found out this weekend that my brother works with #9 Robby Toma's dad....they both are flight attendants....they have worked together for 14 yrs.. And no...Mr. Toma is NOT gay...even though most male flight attendants are( my brother is). My brother said he really is a neat guy and has been following the career of Robby the last 14 yrs.....The time he has worked with Mr. Toma.

    Anyways...sounds like you have hit the ground running, Laurie....and running and running ,etc.

    Keep us updated!

    Try the new Jockey outlet for thong underwear for Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watched that pitiful game on TV. I have to admit I started to root for USF cuz ND was SOOOOO BAD. It was kind of like Appalachian State beating Michigan a few years ago. Then the LF boy, Tommy Rees, got in the game and I started rooting for ND again. Saw that kid a couple of years ago when Bradford traded TD's back and forth all night long. He was the real deal in HS and I'd love to see him get a chance on the ND stage.

    Have not been to La Fogota yet but from what I heard about their Margarita's it should probably be called Forgetaboutit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. john, it was even worse in person. It made me want to cry. I thought Brian Kelly's head was going to explode when that pass hit that kid in the helmet. On a happier note, La Fogata is great, the food is as good as the margaritas.

    New topic: did you see those crazy uniforms that Maryland is wearing? so, so ugly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Reading that post was like trying on the new Burberry Trench Coat! Yes, a few things in this world are true. I love clothes and not just any type of clothes; and I'm talking to Laurie McKeon so no need to waste time on labels. For God's sake we are twins.. . . Just born a few years apart. Two, Rob is a great friend and so is Jean because she puts up with Rob. Last but not least this is the greatest blog I have ever read. I just die laughing when I read it. Only because it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one spending crazy amounts of money on the latest Longchamps bag. Or that I might just sell my first born for that Cartier Love Bracelet. (which was on the birthday list but hasn't arrived yet). Yes I know college tuition might be more wise.
    Isn't it funny that you had a twin all this time in Eau Claire and didn't it?? Ok so pool weather was horrible for the last day at the "fancy fancy" but I think it all came out even when Mommy couldn't attend the swimming lessons cause she needed to be hydrated with a "mommy drink" and the lifeguard took the kids for summer lessons! I still have just as good a tan as you do and we are wearing our stylish Jack Rogers flats while doing it. The other funny thing is I have a "David" myself. Whom I also refer to by his entire name just like my twin. (yes that's you). He too, just shakes his head when I spend his money. And I purposely left his last name off due to the Billy Idol scandal. More to come on that.

    What a fabulous shout out, thank you. It was a great 34th birthday. Yep, I said it. I revealed the age!!!!! I wish you all the best in the upcoming school year and thanks again for all the laughs. At times they are much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I saw the Terps uniforms in the last Burberry Catalog. Although it was on two separate pages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is now official. Jessica is my new best friend. As soon as she can escape from Eau Claire,she'd better high tail it down this way so we can try on Burberry trench coats together. Then we can have lunch at the Zodiac Room at Nieman Marcus (admit it, despite the fact, or possibly because everyone there is over eighty, it's a great place to eat) where we can bond over their famous popovers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hank you so much for sharing this great blog.Very inspiring and helpful too.Hope you continue to share more of your ideas.I will definitely love to read.PS4 Labor Day Sale

    ReplyDelete