Wednesday, November 9, 2011

MCYMC--THE BEST OF WEEK ONE

I am currently on page 16 of this f***ing paper and sliding into home. Man, I can't wait to get this monkey off my back.  I am way too old for this late night "desperation leads to inspiration" form of academia.  Hell, I'm way too old for academia....because pretty much all of the gifts you all suggested for mother in laws are gifts that I would want myself....Of course, everyone knows that I have always been a closet 80 year old: bone china, monogrammed napkins, personalized stationary (I love that shit too, Sara) the  Zodiac room at Neiman Marcus (home of the blue haired Michigan Avenure shopper--but their popovers are well worth dodging the three pronged canes) low heeled pumps, all white bedding, cashmere cardigans,  broaches, champagne flutes, refusing to address elders by their first names....yep, I would love anything of your MIL suggestions...except the coffin.

 Because of my love for you all and this blog, I am taking a break from my crap paper to announce tonight's top gift suggestions.  Consider this your MIL Christmas wish list and whatever you decide to get for your mother in law, please pick up an extra one for me to give to mine. Here's a little aside: I have a great friend in Ohio named Roger who had a beautiful store full of lovely gifts and personalized stationary (he still does my William Arthur Christmas cards). Every year, I would go into his store and choose a thoughtful, fairly expensive gift for my mother in law: orrefors bowls, sterling silver broaches, inlaid frames with photos of the children, and once even one of those backrests that you put on your bed (some call them a "husband") monogrammed of course. She never really liked any of them, so finally, it got to the point that I would go into Roger's store and say: "Can you just find me a $30 gift that my mother in law will hate as opposed to a $100 one that she will hate even more" . So, here's a little mother in law pointer from me to you: If you are the daughter in law, you might as well pick out a cheap gift for your mother in law because she's going to hate it either way...save yourself some money. All she really wants for Christmas is for her son to call her once a week and tell her that her cooking is way better than yours...go ahead and make the call, Dave Mckeon....it's totally true..
The suggestions for the week are stupendous, very impressive to say the least. It was very tough to choose the top five, so I am wussing out and choosing the top ten.  Now remember, the next step is  for you top tenners and everyone else to log into this blog (a lot) and vote for your favorite suggestion. Please don't let me down with this whole voting thing. This is a highly crafted contest shamelessly put together to bring this blog up to 50,000 hits by Christmas time.  So, let's please bring out the vote. If Chaz Bono can get enough votes to stay in DWTS for six weeks, we should be able to muster up a few thousands hits for this blog.

Before I list the top choices I just have one question: Jessica, who the hell is your mother in law?? And how much must you love her to give her a St. John suit and Manolos??? Seriously, please divorce your Dave and marry one of my sons. I will be your mother in law any day, any time. Do not take this the wrong way, but there is no way this ridiculously amazing gift suggestion can be in the top ten because it is just way too nice for anybody. And I don't want to have to buy this top shelf ensemble for the eventual winner of this contest. To safeguard against that very expensive proposition, I am pulling it out of the mix right here, right now.

Without more ado. Here are the top ten Mother In Law gift suggestions for this holiday season, in no particular order:
  1. Broomstick---courtesy of Tricia--still makes me laugh
  2. Vosges Chocolates--suggested by Kim/Brenna--these are terrific chocolates and a perfect gift for your MIL--because hopefully she will share them with you. Sometimes, gilt.com will have these on sale on their site. A few months ago  I bought and ate an entire box.  Worth every penny and every calorie.
  3. Orla Kiely purse---recommended by Angela--can't wait for my sons to get married if my DILs give me a gift like this.
  4. The Claw--a thoughtful suggestion from Jamarcus. Please don't discount this excellent gift--family fun for all ages.
  5. Kringle of the month-give this to your MIL, and you, too, can be the happy recipient of a used small kitchen appliance
  6. Huge basket filled with MIL Favorites--a wonderful idea from Judy, and think of all the great things you can put in it...(a carton of Benson and Hedges and See candies, perhaps?)
  7. Louisville Slugger--ooh, Larry Sanchez, you've done it again. The gift that just keep on giving.
  8. Kodack Digital Frame--this really is a great gift--nice job, John---this is not just a chick contest...
  9. Anything from Seebecks---Brian Pond--I'm giving you this one. It's a damn fine suggestion and if you go into Seebecks and tell them you need a gift for your MIL, they will not lead you astray.
  10. Personalized Stationary----recommended by Sara Pond, who is going to be a real contender in this contest know I love it, so it has to be perfect for all the old ladies

Now remember, get out there are drive the voters to the blog--We need to be able to pick some winners. The voting continues to run until Saturday...vote early, vote often.

I will tally a final score for the week once we get the votes going and  I get this paper done and done

Man, this Penn State thing is just wild.  How in hell can any self respecting person  NOT report someone abusing a child??? And now the campus is rioting over the firing of Joe Paterno...I really am an 80 year old lady because I find this so reprehensible that I can 't even stand it.


    54 comments:

    1. I shamelessly vote for the Kodak Digital Frame. Vote early and often.

      ReplyDelete
    2. As a side note Laurie, don't think I didn't notice that you can spell all those fancy designer names that I can't even come close to pronouncing but when it comes to Kodak you fail, Kodack? really now. Maybe you should have your MIL spell check that paper for you. LMAO.

      ReplyDelete
    3. BTW, if anyone wants to add me to their Christmas Card list my address is:

      6601 44th Avenue
      Kenosha WI, 53142.

      I can honestly say that I did not know about "designer" Christmas Cards.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Kodak Frame

      It has truly been an awesome gift for my mom's 80th birthday last month. She sits in her recliner, holds her digital frame in her hands all day long reliving all the pictures of her family over the past 80 years (there is a matching dvd put to music from none other than Neil Diamond). Good job John!

      Side note - Benson & Hedges burning in the ashtray all day long. See's candy - eaten long ago. Time for a new box.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I noticed the booze didn't make the top ten - wth?

      ReplyDelete
    6. Basket full of favorite things (mine would be Kendall Jackson Chardonnay).

      ReplyDelete
    7. Digital Frame would be my vote and my mother in laws favorite, too bad I don't buy her anything.
      Molly Ryan

      ReplyDelete
    8. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    9. thanks for the "onsale" tip for the chocolates. Im thinking about giving them as gifts to Sam's teachers and aides in his classroom. Since my bill on my house keeps going up $10,000 every time I turn around "sale" is my new best friend!

      ReplyDelete
    10. I vote for the frame with lots of pics of me on it so she has to look at me often. What better gift

      ReplyDelete
    11. I would by her pistachios because I know Laurie loves to get them from her mil every year so it must be the best gift going

      ReplyDelete
    12. Well to be honest the suit was in my size. Who are we all kidding?
      My vote personalized stationary.

      ReplyDelete
    13. Orla Kiely Purse! By the way, I have figured out the key to having 3 well-fed, well-dressed children and a clean house -- always have at least 3 adults on hand. Thanks to my wonderful Mom, MIL and SIL (Sister-in-law) for making the last 2 weeks wonderful!

      ReplyDelete
    14. Not sure why I'm showing up as "unknown" and not Angela.... I vote for Orla Kiely again. And Kringle of the month.... I really miss kringle!

      ReplyDelete
    15. Keep those votes coming. John, I can't spell--you can ask anyone and I am the worst proof reader ever. (like you all haven't noticed that a few hundred times...sorry, Tina "personal spell check" Burke) to top it off, for some reason,the caps lock button on my computer keEpS SticKING and everything i write loOKS like a freaking raNSon note. Like writing 20 pages about acCOUntinG ISN'T hard enough??

      keep voting--i'm grinding it out.

      hEY, hey, nice to see Becky the world's best babysitter, posting up on the blog. And she's right, every year for decades, my inlaws sent us a big tin of pistachios--i really do love them so it was alright with me, however, it you eat too many, they come back to haunt you.

      ReplyDelete
    16. Keep those votes coming. John, I can't spell--you can ask anyone and I am the worst proof reader ever. (like you all haven't noticed that a few hundred times...sorry, Tina "personal spell check" Burke) to top it off, for some reason,the caps lock button on my computer keEpS SticKING and everything i write loOKS like a freaking raNSon note. Like writing 20 pages about acCOUntinG ISN'T hard enough??

      keep voting--i'm grinding it out.

      hEY, hey, nice to see Becky the world's best babysitter, posting up on the blog. And she's right, every year for decades, my inlaws sent us a big tin of pistachios--i really do love them so it was alright with me, however, it you eat too many, they come back to haunt you.

      ReplyDelete
    17. my comments keep showing up twice--wth? Jessica, what size are you? cAN i borrow your fancy suiT? (GODdam cAPlock key---arghhh)

      ReplyDelete
    18. I vote for the Claw. Mostly because I have visions of my siblings fighting over the claw the last time that we were at my grandmother's house. Note: we were all of legal drinking age at the time. What better gift than one that creates familial discord?

      ReplyDelete
    19. http://www.foryourmama.com/2010/05/11/kodak-pulse-review-honestly-its-so-easy-even-my-own-mom-can-use-it/

      Vote for the Kodak Frame. See above review titled, It's so easy even my owm mom can use it.

      VOTE OFTEN!!!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    20. http://www.gadgetsforpeople.com/

      You know you want one. Check out this site. There is even a picture of what appears to be a technology challenged MIL gazing at the picture on the frame.

      The Kodak Pulse frame is a clear winner.

      ReplyDelete
    21. Kringle of the month - pricey- I've done it. But nothing beats doing a good deed 12 times a year without even knowing it. The phone call every month to let us know it arrived is priceless!
      Seebecks - 'cause they could wrap a roll of TP and it would look awesome. Presentation is everything! And I'll throw in stationary because everyone else is voting for their own. John, not gonna do it... Sorry... It's just the first week.

      ReplyDelete
    22. Sara, you know you want to, just do it!

      “If you’re looking for a gift for a technologically uninterested mom, dad or your grandparents, a digital picture frame might do the trick, and this one’s the best I’ve seen.” - Mashable

      ReplyDelete
    23. Sorry that I did not get my comment in on what to buy but as a mother in law myself and although out of the vote for this round I feel I must offer some suggestions: know the recipients favorite things and interests, be willing to introduce them to technology they may not think they can handle (my 81 year old mom rocks on her iPad--a group gift--which we gave her because my dad was sure if she touched HIS computer it would spontaneously combust), gift certificates to favorite restaurants and tickets to a show are always appreciated, certificates to favorite clothes stores are also nice, never assume to know their personal taste--and they would never return because then you would be sad. I agree with Judy that age of mother in laws can be a factor but we all eat, communicate and dress--I have an awesome questionnaire that is soooo helpful in gift giving no matter the age--I will post at some point during this contest to help you all in your shopping endeavors.

      ReplyDelete
    24. I'll vote for the Orla Kiely bag--got one once and love it!

      ReplyDelete
    25. The digital frame thing is a great idea if the MIL is young enough--older people think it costs them too much in electricity to run it--serioulsy! and be ready to be the one who has to give them the updated picture cards to run in it . . .

      ReplyDelete
    26. No suit for me! For some reason my Dave thinks college for our two kids is way more important. Silly him! Side note I'm sure you have already invested in one but you simply must buy a Clarisonic. I can not wait to hug the UPS man when he delivers mine!

      ReplyDelete
    27. Basket of favorites things....throw a bottle of Jack in there, too.

      ReplyDelete
    28. Basket of favorites,,,throw some medicinal weed in there, too.

      ReplyDelete
    29. Basket of favorites.......throw in gift certificate for male strip club.

      ReplyDelete
    30. Basket of favorites....don't forget the broomstick and claw...seems everyone likes them.

      ReplyDelete
    31. Nice work, youngest of 3...am now seriously considering giving my MIL the basket of medicinal marijuana...AND the Benson and Hedges AND the claw (the claw is pretty special) ...ok, ok and the frame....C'mon already, get some people to vote...

      ReplyDelete
    32. Going with my brother on the favorite basket for my Nana filled with the weed!

      ReplyDelete
    33. Favorite basket with a bottle of Jack, too.

      ReplyDelete
    34. Favorite basket filled with cool sh*t.

      ReplyDelete
    35. Favorite basket filled with Chicago Bear sh*t, too.

      ReplyDelete
    36. How can you not go with the favorite basket filled with all of the other suggestions? Basket full of favorites, hands down.

      ReplyDelete
    37. Who the hell is youngestOF3? John is it you because you are #2, not #3.

      Laurie - aren't you in Haiti? Are you bringing home another child like Angela Jolie?

      ReplyDelete
    38. Suechi - read the review, jeepers. The Kodak Pulse does not rely on memory cards. It is Wi-Fi. Set it up once and you can update it without smelling the old people. You can sit around in the comfort of your own home and update it remotely. It has an auto timer to turn on and off when desired, ie at 3pm when they fall asleep. Then turn back on at 3:30 AM when they wake up. You know the sleep pattern of MILs. So that covers the waste of electricity. This gift is the only Win/Win on the list. The claw is a close second but what happens when you pick up that heavy object and then get the arthritis cramp in your fingers, yep broken toes. Don't think I want to live with that over my head.

      ReplyDelete
    39. Trish, just because youngest of 3 mentioned Jack and Medical Mary Jane does not mean it was me.

      ReplyDelete
    40. Ok....the youngestOF3 is my youngest son and John is my middle son. I need to get my older son on and my 2 daughter in laws yet.

      ReplyDelete
    41. Vote for the Kringle of the month.

      ReplyDelete
    42. Hey....and definitely a vote for basket full of MIL's favorites. If it's all of her favorites...how can you go wrong? She has to like it!

      ReplyDelete
    43. Another vote for basket full of favorite things......a gift for ALL MILs!

      ReplyDelete
    44. I think youngestOF3 has been hanging around too many OWS rallies. ;)

      ReplyDelete
    45. Even if he was hanging around OWS...I wouldn't care........he's just joking around about the baskets....

      ReplyDelete
    46. Vote for the Kodak Pulse. If for no other reason that you know you want one too.

      ReplyDelete
    47. Not to point out the obvious but how the hell do I know what my MILs favorite things are? That gift idea causes nothing but problems for me. Just saying....

      ReplyDelete
    48. Another vote for basket of Favorie things and throw in John's frickin Kodak Pulse. See...can't go wrong with the basket...fill it up with everything else on the top 10 list! Merry Christmas MIL!

      ReplyDelete